Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What does chicken strip mean???

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Az, Apr 2, 2005.

1. Pardon my ignorance, but could anyone tell me what exactly chicken strip means???
    I'm sure it won't make any difference to the outcome of my life, but hey whats a little trivia.... :p

2. there those bits on the edges of my tires that haven't graced the road surface yet (or enough!). Clearly visible as a line of virgin rubber.

Cure = enough balls to lay it over enough!
  3. ahh yes it all becomes so clear.. i'll have to go measure mine...
    see if i measure up ;)
  4. When you can corner like Valentino Rossi you can be assured you have NO chicken strips on the edges of your tyres.
    For us mere mortals, depnding on your riding style, experience type of bike, type of tyre, riding ability the edge of the tyre that has not made contact with the road is called the "chicken strip"
    The more chicken strip you have the more "chicken" you are to corner
    That correct Glen?
  5. Chicken strips

One point to note: When you jump on a different bike, don't be surprised to see more, or maybe even less of a chicken strip. The profile of the tyre has a lot to do with the size of the strip. I find myself leaning almost as much on the new bike and yet have a much smaller strip.

So don't get fooled, judge the strips as an indicator for that bike alone. On the old 250 bandit I still had over 1cm virgin rubber on each side yet I was able to throw the bike into corners just short of scraping the pegs, ie. was scraping my boot toes. My ZR7 has barely 4mm left and I'm no-where near leaning the thing as much as the bandit.

Another point, if you're already at the limit, look for a better profile tyre next purchase, it's always good to have that extra little bit of rubber in reserve for the unexpected. Last thing you want is to be at the limit already when a sticky situation rears its ugly head.

Cheers, Ian
    Red ZR-7
  6. ouch thats hurt to know those meanings!! i think i got to measure up mine..;(

7. :-k Dunno