Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What does "carrying a knife in public" mean?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by V2, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Just read a story in the paper about a bunch of wankers who went into a school with a meat cleaver and started swinging it at some kids. Hang'em high. What caught my attention though is Penalties for carrying a knife in public will double to a $2800 fine, or one year imprisonment.. Fair enough I thought till I remembered I carry a knife in my back pocket when I ride. Is this actually allowed or am I breaking the law?

2. That's not carrying a knife in public. I believe that's 'carrying a concealed weapon'.
  3. it depends on if you can justify its use.

If your a fisherman, and carry it, to gut fish, and your not waving it around, they would have a tough time getting a conviction, infact im sure the law makes allowances for these situations...

But if your a drug dealer...and your carrying the knife incase one of the junkies gets out of hand...you might have a hard time explaining work use on that one...
  4. You are not permitted to carry a knife (have on your person) in public unless it's directly related to what you're doing at the time - ie, your work, etc.

"Self defence" is not a legal excuse.

If you were travelling to/from work it would probably be permissable to carry a knife/implement used in your work.

Going to the pub with your scalpel/pocketknife would not be permissable, even if it's straight after work.
  5. Depends where you are.
    In the country it's usually pretty common for people to have a knife hanging off their belt in plain view without any hassle from the Police - doubt you'd get away with the same in the city though.
    It's really going to come down a lot to the discretion of the cop in question, and what they think you have the knife for.
  6. It used to be that a knife that could be opened in one hand, e.g flick knife was a Category M weapon but I know that Queensland has tightened up significantly on this now so even decorative blades can be considered. The law has been framed suitably vaguely that it is up to the discretion of the police.

There is this catch all phrase as part of Category M weapon definintions

7. It would also depend on what you look like, how you're dressed, and if you're articulate/polite. You should see some of the stuff they let me on planes with.... haven't had to deal with police yet.
  8. Ultimately, yeah. :)

It gives them the power to be a total dick (because they might some time need that power with good reason), but I expect most would show discretion.
  9. So probably not a good idea to carry a knife? I don't carry a "Rambo" knife, but a fold up thing that is bigger than a pocket knife.

It is useful for "basic repairs" or should you come across another rider who has had an off, may be useful to cut chin strap off helmet or any other items of clothing if a access to heavy bleeding areas is required?
  10. lol, i regularly carry about my knives(Chef), although I am more worried about what might happen if I come off, and my knife case doesn't hold up.

Doesn't blade length play a part?
  11. I've been told if you're caught with a folding-blade knife you claim it's for "peeling fruit" for your lunch.

Stanley-knife or box-cutter or something "OMG! I forgot to leave it at work. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to be carrying it around."
    If your record's clean, you should get through court just fine.
  12. "I'm so sorry"???

Bugger off.
  13. Nope, worked for me. Had to carry stanley knives for work, not long after the laws were originally passed, had one in my back pocket at the pub plus a gyprock handsaw too. Nice copper at the pub said he coulda booked me for carrying them in public, and for one being considered "concealed". He did however take my job into account so i took the knives back to my van.
  14. Why not just put it under your seat or in the tool kit?

I doubt it would be ideal to crash with a knife in your pocket anyway. Even with a folded blade it'd leave a decent bruise.
  15. What I meant was that you apologise for doing something wrong. The intention of the law isnt to stop people carrying tools required for their job, so I wouldn't start apologising profusely. Polite, yes. Apologetic, no.

That's me anyway. :?
  16. So this is going on down there to! Theyre tightening all laws on blades in the UK to, Ill still carry a knife, I have no intent to use it, but would if I had to.
  17. That is exactly what these regulations are desogned to stamp out, and rightly so! :roll:
  18. Intent or no intent is just the difference between murder and manslaughter/assault with a deadly weapon.
  19. Its the "vagueness" of these laws that bugs me the most. Sounds like you can get in more trouble walking down the Mall with a plastic knife from McDonalds in your hands than with an Axe over your shoulder!

At the airport security not too long ago, we forgot to inspect my daughters bag and she had a pair of "school scissors" in her pencil case (the plastic ones that are deemed safe for a 5 year old child to take to school). They confiscated them and looked at me like I was the parent of a little terrorist. At the same time I had a 30cm long "steel ruler" in my breifcase which was fine. If I was to go nuts on a plane, I'm sure I could do a lot more damage with a steel ruler than a pair of plastic scissors!