Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What do you pay?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by NJS, Jul 16, 2008.

1. New bike, 10000 + orc. What is going to be the final figure after some haggling when paying cash. I realise there are a heap of variables, but have a go anyway.

2. 10k! No seriously you are paying cash, make 'em throw in the ORC, I did. :grin:

3. Somewhere between 8000 ride away and 12,000 ride away...

- What bike?
    - Popular or unpopular bike?
    - Rare or easily available?
    - Old model or ex-demo?
    - Which area do you live in?
    - How good are you at haggling?
    - How good is the shop guy at haggling?
    - What mood is the shop in (have they sold a lot and are flush
    with $ or are they overloaded with stock and want cash)?
    - What day of the week and time of day are you going?
    - Have you been there lots before and known as a time-waster?
    - What other shops nearby have the same bike and what are their prices?

Jeez.

4. Long term?

Your entire disposable income for the rest of your life. Plus a bit more :grin: .

5. As I said, I am aware there are a heap of variables, the question is on a new bike listed at that price + orc, do you just go the orc's or push for more off? An exact answer is nigh impossible, but what do reckon is average?

"Your entire disposable income for the rest of your life. Plus a bit more ."

My hobbies are to many as it is.

6. get it private sale and avoid all the dealer costs, make sure its sold with a RWC and a clear title.

7. get it private sale and avoid all the dealer costs, make sure its sold with a RWC and a clear title.

8. Depends what time of year. In 4 months they'll have 09 models coming in (for many bikes). Best time to hit them is at the end of the month (sales requirements). If you can get ORC off thats quite alot, 1200+ sometimes.

9. There is no average, bikes vary wildly. Even the same $10,000 bike can be $1200 off one month and $RRP plus everything the next month. Don't just assume you can get the ORCs free either, the government has to be paid and the money has to come from somewhere.

If you gave us half a clue what bike you wanted, where, when, etc we could give you a better answer.

And what about building a good relationship by buying from a reputable local shop?
    One that will look after you on warranty (eg if your engine blows after warranty ran out a week earlier)
    One who will give you discounts on gear as you learn
    One who will give you good advice instead of just blow you off
    One who won't send know-nothing 17 year olds to advise you
    One who will let you get a puncture repair straight away even though the workshop is already booked out

Not easy to find, but that's gotta be worth paying some $$$ too...

10. Agree with all that, but I plan on buying my bike from a dealer with a bad service rep, but will take it to my local small dealer for service, unless my local can do me a similar deal.
    We are not spoilt for choice in the north.