Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What do you do when....

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by cejay, Aug 15, 2006.

1. You're riding along and see someone happily texting/reading/applying makeup/eating cereal?

Riding into work today I see this guy texting, normally just let it pass, but almost got collected by the (unmarked) overhang on his roof, so as I went past I gave him my best evil look :evil: and gestured to his mobile phone. He looked a bit sheepish, but I doubt whether he'll care.

I find when I ride I am so much more observant than when driving and see all manner of stuff.

So, what do you do?

2. Point down at his wheel like something is wrong, and then motion for him to wind down the window.... then *POW* right in the kisser :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

3. honk

simple, had this last week and probably get in trouble for this but had a middle age man in a sports car cut me of, so rolled up beside him and was originally not going to say anythin, thngsf happen.. but relised that he had a smoke in one hand phone in other and was driving with his knees!!!
    so for once i got annoyed, satt there at lights and just blasted my horn for good minute till he had to hang up.. gave me a dirty look, so i mimmicked him, Overexaggeratedly of course.. stuck my finger up and rode off, got to next set of lights,different man pulls up beside me puts hand out window and gave me thumbs up!! apparently he'd cut a few cars off!!
    but not saying this was the right thing to do, jut gets me mad! there will be some good ides from people here.... maybe i can get a few more, and let not even talk about people who park in handicapped spaces with no sticker or behind when its clearly say dont!! ohh stop!
    :LOL: :LOL:

4. Yeah. I'll pull up next to them kick it down and get my exhaust screaming so they can't hear anything but me. Or if they give you a finger, OFF WITH THEIR MIRROR!

5. I tend to get the hell out of there.

6. Hmm - wonder whether one of those cellphone jammers they use in some cinemas would run off a bike's electrical system. Yay, travelling dead spot!

7. look around here at www.totse.com and they have some interesting designs for low level EM blockers. Or www.powerlabs.com for the same kind of thing.

Quite simple designs.

A simpler design would be to carry a crow bar in your jacket.

8. Oooh, great thinking Bravus.

I love the idea

9. Travelling dead spot, good one!

Now, we need to move on to cereal, coffee (finely balanced on dashboard), reading the newspaper (covering steering wheel and 1/2 windscreen), reading (a light novel on the way to work gets the brain juices flowing), makeup (surely applying lippy doesn't affect your driving ability) and note taking (that's what steering wheels are for - balancing the notepad).

10. and then?

Yeah, happens all the time. Especially to quite bikes! Everybike should be loud. It really does help to be noticed.

Apart from verbal abuse, cuz half the time they dont care or dish it back, what other things can we get away with?

-the bird
    -hit/break mirrors
    -hit window
    -friendly slap/punch (if window is dow)

???? what else ????

11. If they're not paying attention, an open-handed slap on the roof, bonnet or boot that sounds loud and makes them think they've hit something will wake them up, at least temporarily...

12. Well the cereal's easily fixed. Get in front and brake sharply, then move out of the way.

Watch the milk and cereal go everywhere and laugh evilly. :twisted:

13. Forgive me Netriders for I have sinned:

Used a phone while driving
    Eaten a hamburger while driving
    Put my tie on at the lights
    Shaved
    Smoked and driven

You try sitting in a cage for 2 hours a day driving in the gridlock around Melbourne, it is pretty boring.

So do I get annoyed when someone does it pfft what are you gonna do?

14. Matti, I am SOOO disappointed :)

I think we've all sinned at some point. Just when I'm riding, I tend to take more notice of what others are doing. Think it's coz I sort of depend on them having both hands on the wheel, both eyes open and brain engaged.

15. only problem is you'd stuff people up who are doing the right thing in using hands free kits. (i assume the links are about blocking calls etc, the links are a bit weird.) :?

when in moderate traffic i think i see someone on a mobile (in their hand not hands free) ever three or four minutes.

16. hehehehe, I love a good roof slap. :LOL:

It frightens the shit out of them :rofl:

As for the phones, I find a horn and 10k rpm at the lights will deal with it nicely. Still prefer the roof slap though. :wink: :LOL:

17. I don't wanna get into the whole phone debate again, but I do notice that about 80% of the times I get cut off or otherwise treated rudely/dangerously in traffic, I'll discover that the person is on the phone. And just repeat the reference to that research study that suggested phoning is as much an impairment as drinking...

18. Driving drunk at .08% BAC is the level they were tested at. Which is well over the limit for a fully licenced driver.

19. I tend to give them a wide berth. Often they'll be wobbling all over the road like a drunkard.

20. .08 used to be the level in Oz until a while ago (the reason Brockie originally got the 05 number on his race car was to publicise the change) and continues to be the limit in much of North America, which is why it was used in the test. It equates to about 3 drinks in the first hour and one per hour thereafter, rather than the current 2 drinks etc.

But yeah, point is, phone users were as impaired as that... which means they are *much* more impaired than someone who is legal... in fact I think the second level of fines/penalties cuts in at .08 in most states.