Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What do you do when........?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Az, Apr 3, 2005.

1. What do you do when a cager interfears with your day?

I've been riding for almost a week now and on several occaisons cagers' have put my life in danger. I find it my main threat on the road. It's hard enough to try to become a confident rider, without some brainless and not to mention blind twat making it all the more difficult for you...

Aaron. (Az)
  2. Get used to it....and just live with it....no other choice I'm afraid....

3. Not that im an expert or anything, only been riding a few months. But my advice would be the same anytime your on the road in any vehicle. Assume that everyone is gonna do the wrong thing by you and ensure your in the safest position you can possibly be in. Obviously you cant trust anyone else with your life so you have to do your best to prevent any incidents on your own.

When someone does somethin on the road that endangers you i feel your best pull over, regain your nerves(and temper if necessary) and then continue to ride. Although you may feel like chasin them down and giving them a little touch up, it will only mean more trouble for you, trust me! :roll:
  4. If its only happened to you on several occasions (and I would assume it would continue), I'd say you're pretty lucky and doin fine :)

Yep, get used to it, its just an unfortunate fact of life.
  5. Eventualy you get so usetoit. You will not notice the danger you were in and avoid it without thinking... than a mate who was riding behind you tells you how he stained his under garments coz he though you were just about to buy the farm...
  6. BWAHAHAHA there gonna kill ya....................
    if you can't handle Adelaide driving which is alot more sedate than Melb or Syd you got no chance, deal with the issue or give up riding!
  7. Az,

It mostly likely to happen just when I'm relax and happy and enjoying myself, it is also when I started to think: "Riding, danger? What danger?"

And boom, suddenly, I nearly get wiped out.

My heart rates shoot up, hair follicles tinkling, swearing out loud......but this is an excellent reminder for myself to be concious at all times, relax but not too much, ride defensively and always on the look out.

I've been riding for 5 months, and only several close calls*....You are at your first week, are you positive you are not assuming they :shock: see :shock: you?

* what I mean by close calls are those that I didn't expect it coming, when some cars move suddenly, unexpectedly and were unpredictable....I still put it down to my inexperience, and always think back how I can avoid it from happening again......I don't count those that I saw coming, even the cagers were apologetic, but I've already slowed down or moved to a spot that I wasn't in any real danger.
  8. Soory to say but you will just have to make allowances for them.....

One of the first things I was told when I went for my 'L's' was..... we you are on the road you take responsibiliy for every other person out there as they will not take responsibility for you....

But you will find after a while you will learn to ride where they can always see you and there for are LESS likley to be an annoyance
  9. hate to say this but it happens to the best of us

they sit in their 4 walls and act as if the road belongs to them

we become more aware and able to read the road conditions better
  10. It's a fact of a road users life, just more apparent when you haven't got a safety cage around you.

If you're finding yourself constantly surprised and angered by tintop steerers, then back off and give yourself more space, the space will let you to respond to the situation better (note, respond, not react).

Once the experience builds, you'll notice a general trend in the tintop behaviour, ie where they tend to cut in, pullout in front, try to squeeze you out etc. As you get the experience then the amount of times your "surprised" will reduce (it'll never stop) and the amount of enjoyment goes up.

Always look for possible danger, adjust road position to maximise your available space (buffer and escape zones), sometimes they are just honest mistakes, and as a group, we riders aren't perfect either.

11. Quick tip: be aware of blind spots.

Obvious, I know, and you've probably heard it already. But I've had a couple of incidents in the cage when I've done a full head-check before changing lanes and found a learner sitting right where I couldn't see him in the mirrors or from a quick head check.

... and I've only started doing full head checks in the cage since becoming a motorcyclist.

The number of incidents between cagers and me on the bike has decreased as I've become a more experienced rider, and been more aware of what cars can and can't see.
  12. Always stay in visible areas.
    Remember, treat every incident as it would be your fault in order to raixdse your awareness.
    I've been riding for 6 years and can say i've only encountered 3-4 instances where a cager has done something stupid to endanger me.
    You have to raise your awareness and lose this us vs them mentality.
  13. I'd have to agree. IMHO there are just as many idiot bike riders as tintop drivers (per capita)

One advantage you have is your ability to see a lot more of what's happening around you. I heard/read somewhere that you should always try to ride so that your brain is 5 seconds ahead of your bike..... works for me.

Sure, in dry conditions we can brake/maneouver better than tintops, but if your down to that, you haven't been paying attention (in most cases). I try to keep that as a last resort.

14. All gr8 advice for my 2 bobs worth I rely a lot on eye contact in their mirrors no eye contact means they haven't seen me & forget giving them the bird! give them a wave of thanks when they don't cut you off also a wave as you approach will often the stop them thinking they can beat you to do their right hand turn or u turn. Every friend we win saves all of us!
  15. You can try all ways to get their eye contact - but when cagers have their music blaring , reading the paper, talking on the mobile, doing their makeup, having a bite to eat, putting cigarettes out, having arguments with their passengers - its a wonder they have time to drive let alone pay attention to a motorcyclist.
    Sorry to say but after a few weeks riding you'll only mention the cages that peel the paint off your bike - or force you to change your underwear. :)
  16. Az, give a cager a serve if you wish, but road craft is your friend. It will help you avoid these scenarios.

Roadcraft is a bit of a hobby horse of mine... here's some road craft tips learned from these forums, mates and hard won from my own near misses:

- Be honest with yourself, what did you do to contribute to the near miss? DONT DO IT AGAIN!

- Keep as much space around you as you can, the more the better. Space is your only crumple zone.

- read the traffic well well ahead, say 300m ahead [helps you spot the cameras and cops sooner too]

- In traffic, keep an escape route in mind.

- Practice your counter steering and emergency braking regularly. No seriously!! I do almost every time I'm heading for home and get into my neighbourhood streets - I have some ideal road surfaces.

- In traffic, keep a mental radar of the cars around you

- stay out of blind spots!!!

- learn to read "car" body language. e.g. if you see a car weaving though traffic - avoid it. If you see a car edging left or right to look ahead - avoid it.

- keep space around you - get way in front or way behind and avoid where possible being beside.

- Avoid getting boxed in

- In bumper to bumper traffic, never boldly ride through an intersection gap!

- look through corners - they appear to come at you more slowly and you can see dangers sooner.

- look left and right when heading into and through intersections with your brakes set up

- look at cars wheels at intersections - wheels that begin to rotate are much easier to see and respond to than registering a moving car

- Keep space around you.

- feel paranoid about cars on the side of the road with right indicator blinking - the may just u-turn into your path.

- when you decellerate make it a habit to tap your brake(s) so that the brake light goes on - drivers behind will respond more quickly to the light than to the visual que of the gap closing or the bike perspective growing

- Never assume they saw you.

- For goodness sake, ride at a speed that suits the conditions.

- Head checks are for the go, mirrors are only for the no.

- Keep space around you.

- If you're closing in on the car infront, change lanes well before you get into tailgating mode, say 25m - 50m even 100m before.

- If your happy to travel as fast as the car infront, why tailgate? Drop back and then sit on the same speed... it's about maintaining your space.

- Did I mention the space thing?

- Having the right of way doesn't help the hospital recovery one jott.

Hope that helps. That's definitely enough from me! *steps off the soap box*

17. Az, I had six, what I would call incidents in the first thirty minutes of riding. Most experienced riders would not even register these. Everyone of them was a tintop not paying the proper attention. I was paying attention to roadcraft and had every incident covered. As Rob says in the above post pay attention to everything. I'm not an expert I've been riding for two months but I think that riding a bike has helped me when I get in the car. Give yourself space.

One other thing also is don't travel too close to trucks, not just because of the truck and space thing but they hide you from other traffic and it's very easy for a driver of another vehicle to think there is a space behind or beside a truck if they can't see you.
  18. I second everything Rob said. That post should be in the articles section. "roadcraft tips for beginner riders" or some such.

The only other thing I can add is don't be intimidated by the tintops. You have just as much right to be on the road as they do. To make sure you're seen (thereby minimising your chance of dying), maximise you visibility. There's nothing better than practising your giant slalom skills down the middle of the lane to keep those cars in line.

Just make your mark on the road (not literally), let people know that you're there, and you're not going to fall down that easily.

Oh, and the horn is your friend, your very loud and obvious friend. Don't fear the horn.
  19. I agree with Bob, also a fully loaded AK47 strapped to your back may gain a little respect if not vengeance can be swift...:)

oh, today was my first ride into work (CBD) and it was wet. no issues all well behaved.
  20. Last weekend I got clipped by a P plated cage who ran a red light, I hit the deck and me & my machine where only slightly damaged. The only good to come from this is the fact I have now been forced to re-evaluate my riding & employ new tactics that will hopefully see me in good stead for the rest of my riding days.

I just want to share some of my new ways with any other newbies, as im sure riders that have been riding in traffic for years and years do it smarter than me.

Road laws mean nothing if you are the only one sticking to them, if you think you have the absolute right of way at a green light or whilst in a roundabout, u will get clipped, it is the law of the jungle out there, the strongest will survive. Period.

A cage is bigger than a bike, & a truck bigger than a cage, that’s the pecking order and unless you want to come off second best forget your right of way that traffic law gives you and ride to survive.

I have passed other bikes sitting on speed limits whilst the rest of the traffic does above, this is dangerous, as you become an obstacle for people to avoid, forget the road laws and ride to survive.

Be seen and be heard, I already have very loud pipes and they do work, no one tries to merge into my lane & I don’t have taxi’s do u turns in front of me, they know im there from 2 blocks away, but from now I will be using my headlamp on high beam all the time, just for those oncoming cagers who try to turn into my path.

From now when going through any intersection, if there are vehicles near me I will use them as cover going through the intersection, ill either slow down to enable a vehicle travelling behind me in my direction flank me through the intersection, or speed up for those vehicles ahead of me to travel with them through the intersections.

We must use them for what good they can provide us, protective mass, so if cagers want to run red lights, not give way, etc. then let them smash into another cage, not us.

For my small off last weekend im a little sore but a lot wiser now.