Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

what do you do/say??

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by flexorcist, Sep 29, 2006.

1. this morning i was happily sitting on the speed limit in the middle of the middle lane when an old codger with the sunnies in his convertible bmw decided to indicate and start coming across. i beeped, i yelled, but hey i'm on a bike nobody heard it. so i had to take evasive action. don't think this idiot even knew.

he was in a convertible: blind spot with a head check= 0.
    like seriously how hard is it to take in what is around you when nothing is in your bloody way. so i pulled up next to him at the next set of lights and i was fuming. i just shook my head at him and he had NO IDEA what was going on. is it ok to calmly explain to these people their error, before throwing a tyrade of abuse at them because i was SO P!$$ED OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!

Or do you just put these things down in the "seriously everybody IS out to get me" file??
  2. I think flipping the visor up and saying, very calmly: "You pulled over on me without looking back there mate, want to be a bit more careful?" is probably the most effective approach. Offense just brings on defense, reasonableness can (except in the kind of deep-dyed p.rick for whom there's no hope anyway) bring on reasonableness.
  3. ...and maybe a louder pipe and a louder horn!
  4. Convertible with the roof down - I reckon a good slap to the back of the head would have got his attention :LOL:.
  5. I am going to be a complete arse and side with the car driver here. So I'll pass on my sincere apologies beforehand.

You saw him indicate (Lets face it your lucky he even did that) and start to move over. You should have simply rolled out of the throttle and let him in.

YOU were also sitting in HIS blind spot.

Theres no point to being right and dead. This is going to happen lots and lots and lots in your riding career, so now would be the time you can pick the sort of attitude your going to approach it with in the future.

Flame away. Mark.
  6. so far i've decided on the following for my next DH in a convertible:

the calm approach first. failing that the slap to the back of the head.

however if i feel anti-social: i think i might throw some rubbish in the convertible, "oh sorry didn't see you there"
  7. The calm and collected "You nearly killed me back there" is good.

But also - I never ride next to anything, unless it's solid traffic so I don't have the option - but even then solid traffic is usually stopped or moving slowly, so they can see you or you can filter up the road.
  8. Yeah I would always opt for the death stare with a little bit of "watch ya self mate, or that bimmer isn't going to look so pretty anymore".

Or you could take a lesson out of the Fluffy Donkey book of riding, and that is...

"!@#$%^&*()_+<>?:"{}|" Very loudly at the driver untill he sinks into his seat, then you take off from the lights trailing him, making sure he knows your there... for about 20 secs then just blast past him.

Now I would never do the later, but I tell you what, it is fun to watch. :)
  9. +1

He cant acknowledge what he doesnt dont know. If he is advised then he might then become alert & aware to bikes on the road, or of course he could choose to ignore the fact and be selfish.

Either way, by advising him then other road users will be able to see the "how come your talking to him" reason which then adds to their awareness of bikes on the roads.
  10. I'd love a device that can remotely deploy a cars airbags, perfect for situations like this.

Whilst I can understand where VtrElmarco is coming from, this stuff does happen. As a rider we need to be more responsible about our own safety rather than assuming people will watch out for us. I still think you can watch your own arse and let others know when they fcuk up.
  11. Drivers do this kind of thing all the time. Doesnt matter if your in car or on a bike.

Moral of the story is. Try to avoid sitting in peoples blind spots.

Unfortunately you just can trust other drivers to be responsible to know whats around them and perform sufficient head checks.
  12. i wasn't sitting in his blind spot. i was in heavy traffic positioned next to him... like from the other side of the car i would have looked like a really tall passenger wearing a helmet......

i mentioned blind spots because he was in a convertible... there was absolutely no excuse for him not looking. like my god you check your mirrors but jesus have a bloody look next to you.
  13. Depending on my mood i go with either blasting people or asking a pointed question.

"Did you headcheck beack there before you nearly killed me?"

Generaly The pointed question gets a better responce, but sometimes the stupidity involved makes it very hard to contain myself to that.
  14. The last time someone tried to change lanes on me, it was at low speed and he swerved back into his own lane. A few metres down the road we were both queued up behind other traffic at a red light.

I turned round and caught his eye, tapped my visor a couple of times ("use your eyes!") then gave him a thumbs-up. He gave me a nod and an apologetic wave.

No aggro, hopefully a lesson learned.
  15. Hi flexorcist,
    This occurance is quiet common and you should always keep you eyes pealed and have an alternate way out for situations like this.

This person seem to be oblivious the what is going on around him and obviously dosen't give a flying F#@K!

Wasting you breath on him might not have any effect but extending your arm and B!tch slapping the mother F@#ker might make you feel better but there are often legal consiquences that follow!

I would suggest you take his REGO and publish it on http://www.idiotdriver.com.au/ with the details!

Have a safe one!

16. Just do what comes natural, so long as at the end he realises he needs to check his blind spots. Or at least do a head check. :)
  17. So true.
  18. :!: Be well infront. Be well behind. As far as practical, avoid being beside.:!:

If you must be beside, make sure you become level with the driver and look at him/her and wave so that they acknowledge you. (It actually may not make any difference to whether they merge on you though... :roll:)

As to the question, a quiet word is ALWAYS recommended.

BTW, in a driver's blind spot scenario, VTRelmarco is absolutely right.
  19. So I almost hit this biker the other day, but at the last second I saw him and swerved back into my lane.
    We stopped at the next set of lights, and I was feeling really guilty about it, but he turned around, tapped his helmet and gave me a thumbs up, like "It's ok, mate. I've got a helmet on anyway."
    So I didn't really need to worry after all!
  20. alernatively, maybe he was just like wow!!!! i can't even poke myself in the eyes!!