Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What do you do if....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by campag, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Done a couple of thousand k since the Ls and using the bike to commute to work a few days a week (55k ride to Tullamarine).

Most days I'd leave work after dark to avoid the worst of the homebound freeway traffic.

So as an hypothetical, what does one do if you get out to your bike, pitch black in the carpark and a tyre is flat? Either say from a slow leak or it's a definite not gunna stay pumped up for long affair even if I could pump it up?

Second, I have a 250zzr with fairing. Start bike and the front lamp fritzes. How easy is it to change it? I had a look in the daylight from the back and it's kind of a tight squeeze to what appears to be a light fitting. Is it possible to change the globe without removing the fairing (wouldn't be fun in the dark).

What do other people do in these situations where there is a "minor" issue that prevents them from getting home?

2. if it's the rear push it to a servo pump it up and ride it home, if it's the front call home and get someone to bring the trailer to me

no idea, never had to change one
  3. You have tubeless tyres. That's good, because a puncture is easy
    to do an emergency repair on. You don't have to remove the wheel,
    just push a plug in from outside.
    Keep a roadside tyre repair kit under your seat or in your luggage bag.
    Available from any good motorbike shop.
    You should get one for about $50 that includes gas cartridges to pump
    up the tyre, or about $20 without (and buy a small bicycle pump). Also
    why not put a small torch in your kit.

95% of punctures are on the rear tyre.

As for changing the globe, yes it is always possible without removing
    the fairing but it is tricky, so practice in daylight first. But it is rare to
    blow the high AND low at the same time (usually just the low goes) so
    you can usually just ride on high beam to a petrol station and replace
    it under their lights.
  4. Thanks HotCam. I'll look into the puncture repair kit and fiddle with the fairing on the weekend and see what tools I need to carry.

Good idea about the torch. 'Nother trip to Bunnings coming up (not that I need an excuse!)
  5. I carry around a small hand pump with my repair kit , it's not nearly as hard as it sounds to inflate a motorcycle tyre to correct pressure with a small pump.
  6. In my tank bag , I carry a repair kit , a small hand pump , small torch , and a small set of pliers , in case i need to pull a nail or object out. Pissed me off though that as soon as I set myself up with these items just incase , I indeed did get a nail in the rear tyre a couple of days later.
  7. Campag,.........a good option to consider re the torch.
    Duck down to the local marine/ boat dealer and check them out....I picked up a small torch that doesnt require batteries, all you gotta do is shake the bastard and it powers up! Good strong light and Yep!, pop it under your seat and forget it.......no worries re batts going dead on you :wink:

Just a thought
  8. Shaker Torches, they cost about $4 in West Melbourne(Nightingales Electronics) and Damn handy. I will have to get an emergency kit As I hadn't really considered it till this thread.