Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What do people think of full carbon fibre helmets?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by FireRed, May 29, 2009.

1. I am looking at getting a new helmet as my current one has been knocked around a bit :S

I really like the look of the full carbon fibre ones and the reviews of them say they are very good.

Here is one like what i am talking about.

I was wondering if anyone else has one or has an opinion on them.

Cheers :)

2. Carbon Fiber is good in theory. The lighter the helmet, the less the G forces on your neck if your body stops quicker than your head!
  3. and in theory should restrict head movement less, make things feel a little more natural.

I want a Marushin RS-1 but alas there are no Australian distributors (they're after one too).
  4. Yeah, that HJC is SUPER light. Personally, I think it's awesome. HJC apparently loses money on these helmets, since it's a loss-leader product. However, that's probably more the case in the U.S. -- where it seems to be about half the cost here, even after exchange rate considered (I saw this helmet listed for about $800 at PS.)

All that said, I've read some cons of carbon fiber for a helmet shell. According to AMCN, some folks argue that carbon fiber can be overly rigid & doesn't asbsorb the impact as well as other composite materials. Still, this thing meets all the appropriate standards (ASI, DOT, Snell, etc), so I wouldn't worry too much about the safety factor.
  5. I'd be more concerned that if carbon fibre does shatter or split, it turns into thousands of vicious tiny knives.
  6. In any meaningful sense, so does any other composite material that's been used for helmets in the last 40 years.

If the situation's bad enough to smash your lid, you're in pretty serious trouble anyway.
  7. All I can add is I think its pretty cool :grin:
  8. i did not know about CF stack hats, although im liking alot!
    that Marushin RS-1 is very nice!
  9. I think BMW make a Carbon Fiber helmet that sells in Australia. It is not a cheap unit though!
  10. I read the webbikeworld review on the HJC helmet and it states the weight at 1.4 kg.
    Which to me seems like the normal weight for helmets.
  11. Referencing the same site, there certainly seems to be lighter helmets around, but anything in the 1400 grams region (for an XL size), seems to be in the 90th percentile for lightness factor for full-face helmets.

The BMW one is shockingly light at 1000g, though I don't think I'd ever pay what they're asking for those.
  12. Whats the cost of these carbon fiber helmets out there ?

never can find a price online
  13. If you have to ask, you can't afford it. ;)

It was a significant premium over the "basic" SportIntegral, last I checked. Back in 2008 or so.
  14. A mate of mine just picked up the HJC carbon fibre lid for around $600 from the Helmet Warehouse.
  15. Oh I can afford it --- I am looking at a pricing point for MY carbon fiber helmets in the future ( if standards stop trying to ass r a p e me and steal all my money )
  16. Thats the one, looks nice in the flesh and it is noticeably light compared to my Shoei.

Hmmm, im pretty sure I did see the AS' sticker on the back of his lid
  17. The AC-12 is approved but only for FRP material ( glass fiber reinforced plastic ) sizes xs to xxl

that is strange unusual

Licence No: SMK1110
    Issued: 31 Jul 2009
    Expires: 14 Jan 2012
    Originally Certified: 15 Jan 1992
    Current Certification: 15 Jan 2007
    AS/NZS 1698:2006
  18. Hmmm, that is strange :-s
  19. Tautology? :p