Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

what do damper kits do?

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' at netrider.net.au started by Filo01, Sep 1, 2007.

1. i know this might be really newb, but wat do damper kits(steering bar) do?

2. They're designed to counter the phenomenon known as 'tank-slapping'.

On some bikes there are certain conditions that can lead to a tank-slapper: where the 'bars flick back and forth violently and sometimes result in complete loss of control of the motorcycle. The conditions can be maintenance related: tyres, suspension, etc; or it could be related to how the bike is being ridden: accelerating out of a corner and/or hitting a bump; even landing a wheelie badly. Some bikes are more prone than others: sportsbikes are most likely to suffer from tank-slappers due to the bike's geometry (and can also be harder to counter with the reduced leverage provided by clip-on 'bars). Bigger bikes also suffer from it more than smaller bikes, in my experience.

Anyway, the steering dampers basically add a shock to your steering that will stop the back and forth flicking effect that can turn into a dangerous tank-slapper. They do make the bike slightly harder/slower to steer in doing so, but most people think it's worth it.

3. Basically slows down how fast the forks can move, therefore keeping the bike more stable.

Mine's adjustable, in the tight stuff I have it on about 3 clicks, bit more bumpy and open I take it up to about ten, out of 25 clicks. Any higher and it's too stiff to ride easily.

A lot of bikes don't need them, I have one because my bike being naked it's twitchy in the front, and bumps unsettle it.