Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What did you learn

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by nobby, Mar 16, 2005.

1. This has probably been asked before but as I'm a revirginised biker i'll ask it again. Almost everybody has had an off or a near off,

What did you learn from it?

For me it was Reefton, a combination of trying to keep up with guys who have been riding for in excess of 30yrs and concentrating on trying to give the guy on my six a line past me and not looking at the oncoming corner.

Lesson learnt was, forget whats behind, ride at your own pace, and how bloody boring it is sitting on the side of the road for almost 4hrs waiting for a crash collector.

p.s. and how flamin hard the road is :-({|= :-({|=
  2. Yep Ive got one..

When lent over in a tight right hand corner, take less notice of the kids playing on the footpath and more notice of the plastic bag that just flow under your front wheel.. :oops: :oops:

Just as well it was the 600 and not the Daytona.
    And yes the road is VERY hard.
  3. Realm, your riding my next bike, gimme gimme da trumpy
  4. Haven't come off yet (touch wood), but I did have the fun filled experience of not quite having the sidestand down properly in the garage when I stepped off. Now, the bike didn't land on me because I jumped clean over it. The end result: A bent clutch lever and a bent gear lever. It was all fixed promptly by the home paramedics.

Multigrips are such a great invention... :LOL:
  5. :D havent come to grief yet, but still waiting :?
    getting tailgated on the gateway by d*#@heads in a hq comes close though, too busy watching them in the mirrors that i almost run onto the grass on the next corner and into oncoming traffic :eek: still coming to term with concept of a "cruiser" lol :D but know to well how hard the road is from the pushy got a few scars 8) to show for it, but lots of experience gained :D :D
  6. When doing a U-Turn, look to where you want to go, NOT at the gutter :oops:
    You just might end up going up said gutter, going over a brick border fence and planting the bike in some old ladies front lawn ;)
  7. The roads hard
    tyhe bonnet of the car is hard
    Its hard to hold an across up by 1 hand grip
    Smoke comes off car tyres when they skid
    it wasnt slow motion
    stoppies against someone elses car doesnt hurt the bike
    mirrors bruise knuckles

8. Yes! don't worry about what's behind (just in the case of they look like want to overtake you), just do what you should do when you ride, if they really need to overtake you, they will find a way to do it safe or un-safe. Make sure yourself in safe situation is the main point.

As I have been drive for 10 yrs, when i need to turn right/left at traffic light, if the car driver horn me right after its turn green, I will try my best to do my turn as slow as I can, especially if its the only lane for turn. Because he/she want to go faster, but they can't do anything other than stuck behind you.
  9. - Realise what time of day it is
    - Be EXTRA careful of wildlife at dusk
    - Pay attention to wildlife warning road signs
    - The road leaves awfully large holes in your legs and does a great job at stripping skin from your body.
    - ALWAYS wear FULL protective gear regardless of how far you are travelling or think you are travelling
    - ALWAYS insure your bike
    - Cages are more than happy to drive around and away from a crashed rider pleading for help
    - Your friends are the ducks guts when it comes to looking after you in a crunch
    - One of the most painful things you can experience in life is a plastic scrubbing brush scrubbing an open wound.
    - I can master some SERIOUS pain levels
    - Make sure you claim as much as possible (Do the physio and all your other entitlements), otherwise TAC will refuse to pay for any of it, and seriously annoyed emergency departments come looking for your arse.
  10. Are these two things related? :shock: :LOL:

11. I always ride at 8/10ths of my ability on the public roads, this gives me a margin of 2/10ths for when the s&*t hits the fan and gives me room to move!

If I see a reckless rider in the ride group I will go to the back of the pack, and I mean way back.

I never feel pressured to keep up with someone who's riding outside of my ability, (see 1st remark)

Always check your bike over for anything thats amiss.

Always keep safety as a high priority.

Last of all go out and have some fun 8)
  12. Hey Glen, have you not also learnt to remove the disclok before riding away, or is that a lesson you need to repeat first? :p

For me - so far so good, no actual falls, but a few lessons learned from various incidents and observations are:

Don't reverse the bike if you're not astride it... (NEARLY dropped it!)

Watch your own line - you first, everyone else second. (learnt on the ride on Monday). I got distracted by someone else's mis-shooting of the corner than I underbraked and completely lost my line. Nearly hit the embankment (and nearly got hit by the following bike too).

Learn to ride instinctively, not conciously. Sounds obvious, but I found that even though I was conciously thinking "leave a gap here, speed up/slow down because there is a car next to me, etc, etc" - I got caught up in the thinking and forgot the doing. I still mess it up, but at least now I don't have to actively think about it, giving more of my think time to spotting hazards.

Don't ride with ANYONE who pressures you to ride outside of your abilities. (learnt from observation, not personal experience)
  13. yep
  14. 1) Always wear gloves....(and all the other gear).
    2) Look where you want to go
    3) Use the force
  15. 1. The roundabouts in Toorak are invisible.
    2. That bald rear tire might be alright in the dry, but you're gonna come off in the wet
    3. Even if it's only a minor off, everybody will be ultra-paranoid because it happened on a motorcycle
  16. Main lesson i've learnt,
    Me, Bikes, Gravel and Manuvering DO NOT MIX!!

Oh and That I can actually ride a motorcycle, I can avoid stuip fools trying to take me out, and as long as i concentrate on what i am doing and keep a smile on my face all is good.

17. What I have learnt:

gravel is not your friend, treat it with respect and it might ignore you were foolish enough to cross it! I'm obvioulsy highly disrespectful :cry:

In an accident involving another vehicle always be just a little bit hurt so that an ambulance is called (thus requiring police attendance). This is most useful when you need to put your not at fault claim in to the insurance company and the driver is being a bastard about it... 8)

But the more practical thing I learnt - ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION! All of my accidents could have been avoided with a bit of extra thought and attentiveness, yes even the one when the car was technically at fault... If I'd been paying attention I would have avoided him like the plague and never let him get near enough to me to cause the accident in the first place.
  18. Do not use front brakes when going downhill on unsealed road. Especially when it has large ripples in it. Use back brakes instead. If failing that due to feet hanging out on the side and bike is flitting and skidding side to side, gun the bike down the hill and slow your progress on flatter terrain :D
  19. Actually... I just remembered, I did learn something really important... once.

Don't speed through USQ in Toowoomba late at night when there's no traffic... because you WILL get air on speed bumps if you fail to see them and you are going fast enough. It was easy enough to hold when I got a foot or so off the ground but any higher and the consequences could have been much worse.

I don't think that the Spada was built for Trail-bike esque jumping. :LOL: