Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What did you learn from that near miss or accident?

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Flylo, Nov 26, 2011.

1. I've had my fair share of near misses and accidents and have learned something from each of them. I have also learnt alot from other riders when I was in my earlier years of riding, which probably saved me from more.

So I thought it might be an idea for people to post their close calls and accidents, and let us know what they learned.

I'll start off with this one.
    I was filtering through stationary traffic on a 4 lane road. I was between the far right and the next lane. Doing about 20k's I came up to a van on the left, and a guy jumped out infront of me. I collided with him, and he took both me and the bike down. A bit of damage to the bike, and he had blood running down from his knee. I was able to ride away and he went to the hospital.

What I learnt; If you are filtering through traffic, and come across a vehicle you can't see past, slow down to walking pace, so you can be ready for whatever jumps out infront of you.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. that's how you learn.
    first year on the road is high risk for everyone.
    just have to hope you learn any particular lesson from a near miss, rather than an impact.
    you learn from frequency of near misses and adapt your riding style and road positioning to reduce them in frequency.
    great idea for a thread
  3. I filter quite slowly in situations like that (especially in peak-hour traffic)... you get the odd cage that tries to change lanes when they see a gap... any gap!

My near miss: A couple of years ago when living in The Rocks I was riding down Hunter St around 9:30pm when a pedestrian hailed a cab that was coming up Hunter St. The bastard immediately chucked a U-turn right in front of me forcing me to e-brake and swerve towards the gutter. The road was damp from earlier drizzle and I slid the bike half sideways between the gutter and the (now) stopped taxi that was at 45° to the gutter coming to a rest (still upright) about ½m from the cab's read passenger door. Funny how ol' motorcross skills can be remembered in times of stress.

What I learnt from this experience: I now ride through the city with much more caution, less speed and am on the constant watch for the slightest flinch from a pedestrian so-as not to repeat my previous mistake. Should have been doing those things anyway with the number of drunks/TXT'ers etc. unpredictably ambling around the city on any given night of the week!
  4. Not so much a near miss, but one that got my heart going anyway.

Had a pint of Cascade Light (so I guess about 1 standard drink, well and truly legal), because I knew I was going to be riding. Heading home in traffic, one lane was slowing, checked mirror and shoulder to change lanes, looked back and the traffic in front of my was at a dead stop and I was closing rapidly. Got on the brakes hard while checking the mirrors for anyone about to clean me up, and was fine, but it was a heart-starter.

I reckon the one drink just took away that millimetre of edge... and I'd be safer on the road with it than without.

YMMV, but for me the moral was pretty clear.
  5. Never underestimate the level of stupidity or lack of intelligance that is displayed by road users...
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mine is two-fold:
    don't ignore maintenance coz money's too tight. if you can't afford to fix it, don't bloody ride til you can

and if it (the bike) feels wrong, it probably is
  7. i learned that most car drivers are fuckwits
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Don't ride away from a "near miss" yelling and screaming, save it till you get home and analyse it, see if there was something you could have done to avoid it, and file it away so it doesn't happen twice.

Every near miss or fail is a lesson to learn from.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. but its way more fun yelling and screaming at asians with their clueless blank expression on! [-( Hopefully it gets the message across for them to improve their driving and look out for bikes - or scares them off so they start catching public transport! But yeah it is important to analyse every near miss as you said
  10. If you cant stop in what you can see, you are going too fast for the conditions.

...Actually, halve that distance. If you cant stop twice over = too fast.
  11. I learned not to post any near misses or accidents here. Unfortunately we get more bitching at us than constructive criticism or advice and blamed for it ourselves.
  12. In my first year, actually first month, I learnt what diesel on the road looks like, I also learnt, at the same time, that a brand new tyre and diesel isn't a good mix if you're not careful.

Oh and funkmonkey, theres 2 things that shits me about the 'near misses' threads.

Firstly, all too often the person refuses to accept any responsibility for what happened. It was always the car drivers/truck drivers/councils/pedastrians fault. Sorry, but 9 times out of 10 there was something YOU could have done to avoid having the near miss in the first place.

Secondly, guess what, it's not new, it happens to everyone, get over it. Learn from it, don't let it happen again.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. My first experience of SMIDSY, didn't give me a chance. I hit amidships at 80k, when a car was made from steel, and it nearly ended my life at 18yrs of age.

Now...I don't mistake the fact that they may be looking straight at me, means that they see me. Usually, they are looking at gaps, gaps that 'we' fill. But we are invisible.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Most riders are unwilling to accept that they did something that contributed to their near miss, and then biatch and moan about it when it gets pointed out to them.

A near miss might give you a lesson about a set of particular circumstances on the road, but it gives you an opportunity to look at your riding and how it might have contributed to the near miss. Don't avoid this opportunity.
  16. Never a truer word spoken, Mick!!

And if I may hitch a ride on the back of your solid advice...

I never give it up...I ride the bike intensely proactive in a crisis situation, until I either hit, or escape. I rarely aim to stop, and am always looking for a way through, if my ongoing escape routes begin to disappear. I always have an alternate trajectory going, that is constantly evolving/changing, as an escape route. When I suddenly find I don't have one, then I create one by changing position. A bike is what...maybe a meter wide at max?...so that's all it takes to avoid being closed in on. And if I sense that coming, I'm outa there immediately.

There is nearly always something we can do, or could have done in many many cases, to avoid or at least mitigate a bad outcome.

Accepting also that, there are events, that just could not have been foreseen by any reasonably minded person, who does ride proactively, but they don't occur too often...
  17. Mate!...you've got it all wrong, or are seeing it incorrectly.
    A lot of the near miss stories, consist of new riders bringing it on themselves, through poor choices or roadcraft, and then can't stand the heat when it's pointed out to them. Or seasoned riders who get caught out, and will explain and dissect the event with some introspection. Thinking out loud in case it may assist someone else along the way.
    If you got burned in that thread, then reflect on why. Remove all the idiotic 'after the fact' umpiring, take away the stupid slingoffs, and you will usually find some reasonable advice from someone.
    But you have to whittle it down, to reveal the gems.
  18. Well said Raven.
  19. Always do a head check not matter what!

My first off - a car decided to jump the queue and drive down the wrong side of the road to make the same right hand turn as I was. I indicated, turned and there he was.
  20. Don't carry tallies/largies/longnecks down the front of your jacket. :eek:hno: