Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What did you find the most difficult in the P's test

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by bonkerrs, Mar 26, 2008.

1. I'm going to start practising with cut tennis balls in a quiet carpark for my Ps in the next few days. I guess I'll find out which I have the most problems with so I can do heaps of thoses excercises.

Just out of interest. Which did others here find they had problems with? The 'cone weave and U turn' looks like a prime candidate for hardness.

What happens on the street ride part of the day? Is this assessed or just a learning part of the day?

2. The weave and the U turn is probably the hardest of the MOST, but that doesn't mean it's necessarily hard :) If you practice, it'll all be a piece of cake.

The road ride isn't necessarily assessed, I believe it's just to see if you can ride comfortably in road conditions and use the information they give you. That doesn't mean they wont kick you out if you're doing wheelies down the street, but if you stick to the speed limit and do what they say you'll have no problems.

3. I found a good place to practice my cone weeve and U turn was down at
    Prince of Wales Dr. in Botany. If you can do the one here when you get to the test you will be laughing.

I live in maroubra so it was easy for me to get there. Normally if I am out for a quick spin and going past I will go down there and do a few weeves and turns to make sure I keep in form.

4. I found the hardest part was staying awake, since I didn't get much sleep the night before.

5. Hardest part I thought was not to let nerves build up , as it is a long day doing P's course.

6. Hardest part was listening to and watching some of the others trying to learn how to ride :roll:

Some people clearly are not meant to ride motorcycles.

7. It feels like its going to be impossible when you first start practicing. But if you just relax and practice the right technique it is really very easy.

I thought the cone weave was the hardest but after you do it over and over again it becomes second nature.

8. on a related topic, i'm 2 weeks away from my course and i've got a cbr250rr

i've heard from alot of people (including the bloke who sold me the bike) that the cone weave and u turn is near impossible on the cibby due to the huge turning circle and the requirement to lean for turns to be effective on this bike.

is this true? if so i'll go and borrow my mate's cbr125r which is easier to manouvre... ill still practice it to see if i can do it but i'd rather not make the test harder on myself

9. Strangely enough it was the slow ride test.

It's 15-20metres between 2 lines about 300mm a part at a slow walking pace.
    Slipped the clutch, dragged the brake, kept my head up and I still managed to fark it up.
    I just went too slow and almost dropped the bike in spite of thinking I that I was going to piss it in.

Not sure if you guys do this one over in the eastern states though.

10. Yesterday I went to an empty quiet carpark to practise. I had my cut tennis balls, printout of the MOST course and measuring tape with me :p

I had a little trouble at first with the U turns but after a few goes it started to get easier. The weaving definitely needs more work. I reckon with a few more practises myself and the practise time on the day... I should be right.

11. Didn't have that down here when I did mine. I found the hardest bit was the weave. I was worried about the U-turn until I actually tried it. Mind you I was on my VTR so it was heaps easier.

Bonkerrs - a tip that I found helped me. When pracitising my U-turns leading up to my test, I made the space I had to do them about a foot smaller than what they give you. Makes it look huge when you get there on the day.

12. The hardestpart for me (apart from nerves) was doing the figure-of-eight on a school bike; I had no problems with my (very old & heavy) CB250 but the new light things they had (with stalling problems!) was my undoing. Blew that part of the test but sailed everything else. Went back afterward to confirm to myself I could do it on my own bike - no problems!

13. Compared to a "standard" bike or most "naked' bikes, a fully-faired race-replica will find slow-speed maneuvers more difficult because their front wheel can't turn as far.

I don't know about the CBR125R (again, fully-faired, though it's not an RR), but the CB250 and VTR250 will poop all over such trivial urban maneuvering. ;)

Tipping the bike in so that you're sitting fairly upright, and the bike is leaning way over, will tighten the slow-speed turning radius of any bike.

Doing a tight U-turn at low speed, treat it just like slow riding - feather the clutch and use the rear brake to keep your speed down. Turn the handlebars to full lock: they aren't used for controlling your lean angle since you'll be using the brake (mostly) to control your speed in order to control your lean angle. Lean the bike in and keep your body upright or slightly leaned out; I usually move my buttcheeks an inch or four towards the outside of the turn so I'm sitting on the edge of the seat.

* If you feel as if you're going to fall "inwards", ease off the brake (and if it's really bad, gently release the clutch and gently accelerate,). The bike speeds up, and the extra speed will make the bike stand up. Centrifugal force, baby!

* If the bike's standing up, drag the rear brake more to bleed off speed... The bike will tend to "fall inwards" again.

* If the bike stands up too far you'll need to straighten your steering to stop the bike from falling onto the OTHER side. Slow down to slow-riding speeds again, and start from the top. :)

I don't know if they "time" the MOST U-turn test, but anyway: Don't be too concerned about going too fast/too slow for now; all that matters is making sure the bike doesn't fall "into" or fall "out of" the turn.

How slow is too slow? Dunno. Sometimes, in really cramped spaces, I'll do the U-turn barely above stationary speeds... "pausing" to let the bike fall inwards and allowing it to roll forward to stand it up again. Cyclists can trackstand their bicycles, and motorcycles are just 160+kg bicycles with engines, right? ;)

14. On a related note, how do people find the Vic licence test? I'm going for mine in a couple of weeks. Seems easier than the NSW test, but does anyone have any pointers?

15. i found the hardest part was the u turn, i sucked at it. they told me if i had lost one more point for doing something wrong i would have failed. thank god i didnt.

16. The guys at HART said the Learners test is twice as hard as the P's

"The course addresses practical skills such as straight line braking, corner braking, cornering lines, counter steering, slow speed riding and exercises which combine different issues within the one exercise. "
    (from the website.)

17. Yeah I did my L's at HART without any issues, will be doing my licence test there also. Seems a bit too simple though - how can they fill a whole day with 2 exercises?

18. If you have got this far, the P's test is basically to check that you have indeed ridden on the road, and can follow basic instructions (Traffic lights) within a decent reaction time. I found it more a formality than a actual test.

19. The full license test, or the Learner Permit test?

The full license test is relatively easy if you've been riding regularly. The test is comprised of two parts:
    * A pair of 45 degree turns (one left, one right). You must travel as fast as you think you can safely negotiate the turns without crossing the lines or crashing. Penalty points are issued for going slower than necessary.

This part's pretty easy, though most people pick up a few penalty points. I got 3, each way. I guess I have less tolerance for crazyspeed than VicRoads expects me to.

* The "christmas tree". You make four approaches at a 'christmas tree' (a set of three lights); on each approach the lights will randomly pick an instruction for you and display the appropriate light. Left swerve, emergency stop, or right swerve. You must do the correct one as best you can.

This is also not too bad. The HARDEST part - the bit that f***s people up - is that the pattern-forming part of the brain gets overexcited by this test. It tries to second-guess the lights. Ask me what happened to the rider who went before me, some time...

The VIC test is otherwise fine... a piece of cake compared to the L's test, frankly. Provided you do not drop the bike or commit another "instant fail" event, you can do poorly in one or two tests and still pass.

The rest of the day is filled with:
    * Refreshing some general riding skills
    * Refreshing emergency stops
    * Learning aggressive evasive swerves.
    * Learning to perform emergency stops while negotiating a corner.
    * A "free ride" around a course of cones, focussing on cornering technique, cornering lines and just having a bit of fun wringing the neck of a CB250 around a cone course. <--- FUN!

20. Thanks Spots, good info.