Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What cost to expect for paint job?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by banditbob, Jun 5, 2006.

1. For a full body paint job what can one expect to pay?

Need to know I'm not being ripped.
  2. A lot? I was quoted $400 to do a factory paint job on just a bellypan for ye olde GPX. :p
  3. All important question...

Are you doing the prep work yourself or is the spray shop doing everything?
  4. Spray shop doing everything.

Basically im tossing up between buying a red bandit second hand then spraying it black- or paying $1500 extra for a black bandit from a dealer.
  5. I would agree. It would likely cost you more for the respray... although obviously a bandit doesn't have a lot in fairings. :p You know any near you that does painting? Why not give them a ring?
  6. I'm with CAS on this one.

As it's a naked bike you've really only got the tank and the duck tail to spray though... so i'm guessing you could get away with a good quality paint job for... ooooh... ~$700. I'd still say your better off just getting the black one and skipping the head ache from a new paintjob.
  7. My tank cost me $380, and a lower left fairing piece cost $180, for a factory quality finish. Was quoted $250 for the ducktail for a factory finish. Mind you, there was some repair work too in all of those pieces, probably accounting for maybe 20% of the cost.

At a guess, for a fully faired bike with a factory quality finish you'd be looking at around the $1300-1500 mark. Less if no stickers needed. Could probably get it a little cheaper again asking for less than a full quality job.
  8. Thats steep.

Why do they charge so much?

Not as if its a 10 hour job.
  9. I'd pay for a pre-painted bike, you won't get anything extra for the custom job when you sell it
  10. If you are planning on keeping the bike for a few years then pay the extra $1500 and get the bike you want.

If the bike is a "learner" and you only plan on keeping it for a short period of time just put up with the red bike and save your $$$ for your upgrade..

I also have a love for black bikes but after you have been riding for a bit colour really doesnt matter that much. I personally would invest in a bike with a kick ass engine, suspension and brakes and dont get obesessed with colour..
  11. go custom colour

black with a nice pearl through it

if you are going to get it painted then get it done properly!
  12. Ah what the heck... it needs to be said!

- Bunnings Matt Black spraypack ($10)
    - roll of masking tape ($1.40)
    - yesterdays newspaper from neighbours bin ($0.00)

Riding a STEALTH bike... PRICELESS.

I need sleep.
  13. I paid $500 to spray my 2004 Z750 ducktail and front nose cone fiberglass fairings black. It looked goods to.

I will be going the matt black option for the fairings I have now.
  14. It's 2 guys working on it for a day, at least.

You don't just wack the paint over the top of the existing paint. Theres lots of elbow grease in a paint job, both before and after you paint.

Not only that, bike bits are a pain in the arse, if you want to paint both sides. Also second hand bikes have a lot more little dings in them then you realise, once you start sanding.

I was quoted $800 for a single colour respray, with no sticker and I though that was pretty good.