Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What constitutes clutch abuse?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by wheeler84, Sep 14, 2007.

1. i'll just run off what I think would be bad for the clutch, please correct me and add anything I missed!

- high revs (50% or more) at standstill, followed by immediate release and maximum throttle
    - not applying enough clutch in gear changes or miss-timing (although probably worse for gearbox)
    - riding the clutch

2. Don't stress out about abusing your clutch. It is designed to be ridden, dumped, slipped and all other sorts of nasty things that you wouldn't dream of doing in a car. Besides, replacement clutch packs are cheap in the whole scheme of things.

If anything you should be more concerned about going through chains and sprockets at a great rate, gearbox damage if you're making a mess of gear changes, general stress on engine components. Depends on the bike though, a robust gearbox coupled with average horsepower and a cush drive rear hub means you can get away with just about anything.

Just ride it. :wink:
  3. im on a cbr250rr for reference, not exactly worried just want to get my facts straight... actually my bike gives me a good feeling of being setup for hard riding provided I ride it properly probably due to the race heritage I suppose... can't say the same for many road cars :)

With gear changes, is it true that the babyblade clutch is what is called a "wet clutch" which means as soon as its engaged its fine to change up or down, unlike standard cars where your meant to apply the clutch fully first? This would make sense except that when releasing the clutch from a standing start it seems to operate the same way as a car clutch... further released it is the more power is delivered to the drive...

off topic think my chain might be approaching being a bit loose (is it about 2 inches of give or more is too much?) Only 1100 k's off first service (30,000) since i've owned bike so should be fine?
  4. A wet clutch is wet, that's all. It's immersed in oil, it still operates the same way. What you're noticing with not having to pull the clutch the whole way before changing gears is that you dont in fact have to use the clutch at all. But that's another topic. :LOL:

Adjust your chain as per the specs in your manual. There are also specs on the length/link, so you can tell if it's stretched too much.
  5. clutches are only there to make things easier.
  6. feel free to abuse the clutch as much as you like. the difference is going to be how often you have to replace the fcuker. i destroyed a clutch on a VTR250 in 25000kms.
    i dont ride the clutch as much now, like i used to, especially in heavy traffic.
    one of the other guys here destroyed his clutch on his CBR250 in the 30000kms he owned the bike.
  7. yeah, i killed mine at 20,000 km !

Trying to do burnouts !
  8. Er, doing burnouts should affect the clutch that much since you just drop it, basicly.
  9. Micky said "trying to do burnouts" not "doing burnouts". :LOL:
  10. Oh right. Yeah that kills your clutch pretty bad.
  11. yep !
    don't ease the clutch out !
    dump it and hopefully she doesn't fly away from between your legs ! :LOL:
  12. no risk of that on the 250! no doubt i'll be crapping myself adapting to a bigger bike down the track with potential for easy mono's and burnouts
  13. As to chain slack, should be 3-3.5cm ish slack.
  14. Different for every bike depending on the rear suspension. Unless you're quoting the figure for the blokes Argh Argh.
  15. MY friend has a 07 R1. He has blown his clutch twice and was wondering if he should be getting something stronger or just keep replacing with the standard. A racing plate or stronger springs won't be as user friendly compared to the standard 07 clutch will they?
  16. Tell him to do rolling burnouts as opposed to stationary ones. Much more friendly on the clutch.

For cbr250rrrrrrrs i believe 2.5cm (1 inch) is the suggested chain slackness when the bike is on its side stand.
  17. Burnouts don't kill clutches. I do.
  18. hmm I need to recheck but I am thinking its probably got more give than that, more like 2 inches... what are the symptoms for a loose change when riding? and consequences?
  19. A consequence is that it could come off when you least want it to. It will wear the sprockets faster when not properly adjusted. On occasion when my chain has become loose I have felt the chain hit the guards and retard the drive after a big bump.
  20. wait a sec... do you measure the chain pulling it up or down?

while playing with my bike just now I discover with bottom half of chain in hand, pushing inwards (up direction) it gives about 1.5inches, whereas outwards (down) it gives hardly any.

If the measure is outwards than it seems I have nothing to worry about