Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What constitutes an unroadworthy bike?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Danzotron, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Hi guys,

I'm just wondering at what point does a bike become unroadworthy in the eyes of the law? Do cracked fairings make that list?

2. Well first of all, we need to know what state you are in because roadworthiness is a state issue, not a commonwealth one.
  3. That's a really open ended question mate.

Bald tyres will do it. So will a hardtail conversion without the proper certificate. In fact, name just about anything...
  4. hardtail?
  5. Rigid frame. That is, no rear suspension. And before everyone starts on the stupidity of such a feature, I'd just like to point out that, once upon a time (a time of significantly rougher roads) all bikes were built that way :grin: .

Cracked fairings might fail. Here in WA it would depend on the severity and size of the crack, whether any sharp edges resulted and whether it affected the security of the fairing. For example, a 50 mm crack in an unstressed edge might pass, but a 50 mm crack round a mounting point, leaving 25 mm of material to hold the fairing on wouldn't.

You might be better off making enquiries of your friendly local examination centre, or even submitting the bike for inspection and using the fail sheet (assuming it fails :) ) as a guide to what needs fixing.
  6. Can you be a little more specific? :?
  7. Best way to find out is just take the bike for an inspection. Anything needing work will be listed.

Regards, Andrew.
  8. Hi,
    Im in victoria, I'm specifically refering to fcuk ups with the fairings. It's only cracked and seems to be still stable, I'd still confidently ride it, just wondering if I was ever pulled over by a cop, would I get in trouble.

The reason I ask is because today, after 6 months of having my license and no near misses, I became a victim of the fabled tram tracks. I was forced out onto them by a taxi that suddenly pulled out infront of me :evil:
  9. Drill the fairing at the crack propogation site, I.e the inside end of the crack (only has to be small, but right at the point) using a 3-5mil drill bit. If the crack is large, consider cable-tieing the fairings. go to bunnings/industrial supplies etc. and pick up some small cable ties. Measure the width, and mark and drill matching sets on each fairing (Think shoe eyelets). (Easier to do while the fairings are on the bikes) leave at least a cm between the crack and the holes, then take the fairings off and thread the cable tie through from the inside (to leave it clean on the outside)

Generally, only safety items and structural items are considered. It really depends if the mechanic wants to get more of your money. (Fairings aren't structural. they are just there for pose value, aerodynamics and to make sure manufacturers get more of your money when you bin it.)
  10. STEP 1: Go to a car mechanic that knows sweet F-A about bikes.

STEP 2: They check that your lights work and a few other niggly bits and pieces.

STEP 3: Pay your $18.50 pink slip.

STEP 4 (OPTIONAL): Tell them all about the crack around the mounting screw for your side panel which may leave a panel flying around in the wind. (What they dont know wont hurt them.)

STEP 5: Ride away with a grin on your face because they gave you a pink slip without checking if the engine is still ticking over, not to mention anything else that couldve gone wrong. :LOL:
  11. Don't forget, the above also works for blue slips if you find the right (read: low iq) mechanic.
  12. IIRC...

Cracks in fairings can fail a roadworthy if the crack is such that you can catch clothing in it.

Repair now if you think it won't pass... or just take the fairings off to pass rego, then have them repaired at your leisure.
  13. Thanks very much for the replies guys, I really appreciate it. Got the rest of the bike fixed up today, wondering whether its worth replacing the fairings..

14. Rumor I heard is they must have a bike license to take the bike for a ride.
    AND! if your stupid enough to take your bike to a car mechanic you deserve everything you get.. (not aimed at anyone just a rant)
  15. i believe in vic, bike and car inspectors have different license numbers to stop this. :)
  16. you believe corectly
  17. In vic you only need a road worthy if changing owners on the bike, If you don't think the fairings are protruding or are going to fall off you should be right.

I don't believe there is a fine if the police suspect it would fail, they just might issue you with a notice requiring you to visit a mechanic for an inspection, at which point you are back here and havn't really lost anything.

Of course if there was a fine for it...