Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What caused this?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by 2ndclasscitizen, Mar 3, 2007.

1. Yesterday whilst riding to work I had something weird happen with my bike whilst going around a roundabout. It's a rather large one and I was turning pretty hard, going about 40~50kmh, holding a little bit of throttle whilst going around, but slowing down a bit. I was nearly at the point where I'd havw to turn back the other way to exit the roundabout, still going right when the wheel suddenly jerked right. It was rather disconcerting. I think it just gave the right bar a quick push to correct it, but I'm not sure, I was more focused on how I'd nearly crashed again. But my question is, what caused that to happen and how do I stop it happening again? Was I going too slow/losing too much speed? Going to fast? Turning in too hard for the speed I was going? Or had I reached the limit of the awesomely awesome GPX handling?

2. I had a corner take me by surprise last week. One of my usual suspects, so I was ridiing around her at a fair clip. Next thing I know the bike is traking for the outside of the corner in a big long wobble. I sat up and braked enough to feel the wobbles stop, and threw a u-turn and went back for a look.

The road had some of that fresh black vht they use to fill the cracks, snaking up the middle and towards the outside. I guess it had caused the front to track differently than the rest of the road, cos it is a bit more slippery. Maybe you just rode over something similar.

Congrats on keeping her up anyway. I always go back for a second look when I have things like that that bother me when I'm riding. I find it helps me to better understand.
  3. Provided your tires have plenty of tread I second VTRAffair, I would put my money on road surface/slippery white lines.
  4. And were the tyres warmed up or had you just hopped on the bike?
  5. My tyres are fine, and the roundabout's pretty good (it's the big one on Morshead Dr just after Duntroon where you turn off to the Monaro)
  6. All it takes is a bit of oil or diesel though.

Riding on Thursday in the rain doing about 40km/h through a roundabout my rear stepped out as soon as it hit the middle lane line, it doesn't take much.
  7. From what you describe, everything you were doing was smooth and consistant, so had to be road or something on it. Could have as simple as the tyre rolling off a decent bit of twig or stone. You stayed the right way up, and that's a good thing.
  8. Which tyre let go, and at what point exactly in the corner?
    If you were right on the limits of tyre adhesion, it's entirely possible a small stone or bump could do what you described, which is a great reason not to go 10/10ths on teh street.

Regards, Andrew.
  9. Haha, Mitch wouldn't have been hitting the physical limits of the bike just yet (unless he grabs a handful of front brake...zing!).
  10. mitch theres nothing fine about that round about its THE greasiest round about in canberra, plus it is heaps off camber, might have just been a wrist moment where your wrist grabs a little more throttle or rolled off a bit as the suspensions dips with a bump in the road
  11. My money's on a patch of oil or fuel, a groove in the road, or a small stone etc.
    But could also be your stearing head bearings. It will feel like that when badly worn and the steering moves over a worn bit...hard to describe but feels like the bars are jerking.
  12. I hate you.
  13. There ARE a lot of diesel spills/weird stains on roundabouts at the moment, easily visible with polarised glasses, but they are big patches, you wouldn't lose traction for a split second and regain it, you'd be in the kerb scratching your head!
    Every roundabout on Pialligo Ave through teh airport area has one of these great stains, from lazy truck drivers letting their vehicles spew fuel everywhere.

Regards, Andrew.