Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What can we carry to help in accident aftermath?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by waedwe, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Today whilst riding i came across a accident where there was a injured rider, fortunately he had others also stop, 1 of whom happened to be a offduty ambulance officer, +1000 to him he was a champion
    Now as i was there i thought to myself, lucky this guys here, although i have done a 1st aid course many moons ago i had nothing material wise i could use to help if it was worse.
    So my question is, are there 1st aid kits made specifically small enough so you can carry them on a bike with only underseat storage?
    Also the guy was obviously concerned where and how his bike was going as he was a bit of a trip from home, do you just let anyone take it and let insurance cover the details or do you have some motorcycle specific groups able to help people in this situation?
    i saw in roads and touring diaries loz posted

"112 is an Australia-wide, network-independent emergency number.

That means, even if you're out of signal, your mobile will connect using any available signal on any carrier. This can be a godsend in remote spots like where we all go to fang our bikes. It got me through to emergency as I was lying on the side of the spur with no Optus signal."

so thats going in my phone, anyone got anymore pointers as to anything we can do or carry with our limited carrying capacity on motorbikes?

2. You can get compact first aid kits, really depends how small your underseat is:
    http://www.firstaidinternational.com.au/shop/shop/item.asp?itemid=480&catid=1
    http://www.beauregardfirstaid.com.au/files/motorcyclist essentials website.pdf

Best thing is to do a first aid course, and keep it updated. St Johns are great, and in NSW they even have a rider-specific one. They also have kits designed to be carried on bikes:
    http://www.stjohnnsw.com.au/publications/Brochures/St John HOME Course Guide_FINAL_LOWRES.pdf (pg 17)

3. I am very sure that 000 is network independent as well. All nokias and a motorola that I have owned say emergencey number when I have had to call it.

Generally if it's a serious off theres not much that you would be able to do.

If you want to be able to help in some way - learn first aid st johns told me that for riders senior course would be best. have a first aid kit, notepad and pen needed to.

Other then first aid the other main thing you can do - so if someone is attending to the crashee - trying to help with the traffic.
    This was done when I crashed because it was a blind corner and I was on the road. Basically 1 person either side of the corner letting about 5 cars through at a time.
    If it's a multi vehicle I wouldn't recommend moving bike etc because the cops may not like that.

4. BUT if you see lots of blood, or the person isn't breathing, it may be your first aid that saves their life.

Don't be a bystander who just films someone die on their mobile, if you have any sort of medical knowledge.

St John's run a motorcycle specific first aid course
    http://www.stjohnnsw.com.au/tc_mfa.html

And here's a motorcycle specific guide to Accident Scene Management by a riding instructor from the states. It goes into first-aid, as well as traffic management, fluid spills/cleanup, etc. It's old, some of the basic first aid things like CPR, I believe the technique's changed a little now, but a very very good read if you don't want to be that guy that stands around scratching his arse while someone suffocates inside their helmet.
    http://www.molenda.com/accident.html

5. I don't disagree with this at all. I guess I didn't word what I said well. But you get that.

Personally if there's blood I would help as much as I can though with my reaction to blood (fainting) I probably wouldn't be that helpful :p

Interesting that the QLD st johns never told that there was a motorbike course.

6. you can do quite a bit with what your wearing etc. 000 will work on any phone it is a number that cant be locked. 2 things that may help if you happen to be the rider down. a phone number marked ICE can help get info out to someone you need i.e. family. I personaly carry the Utag ICE dog tags. they run USB info on contact numbers medical history blood type etc and can translate into a lot of languages.

7. dialing 112 will also unlock any mobile just like dialing 000.

112 i believe connects to satellites apparently...

8. 112 uses the normal terrestrial network NOT satellite.
    So, if you can't get signal it won't work.
    What it will do is enable a locked (or sim-less) mobile to dial out for that number only. It actually does not unlock the phone.
    This is the number we teach kids to use, because a 14yo's mobile may not have $$$ on it.
    000 will of course work anywhere, IF the phone has a SIM and $$$.

A first aid course is (IMO) a must. (Should be compulsary before you get a licence!)
    I'm Red Cross trained and a have been a member of the first aid team locally, but I'd willingly do a "motorcycle specific" update!
    A normal first aid course (even advanced) does not cover:
    (i) Spinal injuries; (in a bike accident assume there is!)
    (ii) Road safety at "the scene"
    (iii) Helmet removal. (General rule DON'T).

First aid kits.
    The average kit is useless except for splinters and bandaids!
    Do a course then make one up.
    Mine (that i carry in the car and bike on trips)
    Has:
    Bandages, gloves, eyewash (saline), a sheet of plastic, and a thermal blanket. etc, etc...

9. Sorry, but wrong.

Dialling 000 and 112 is routed exactly the same by the cell networks - it will connect you to the network with the best signal at the time (so probably Telstra or Optus), and give your call priority if the cell tower is busy (so your call isn't dropped). You can also place a call to either without a SIM card and 99% of phones let you type both "000" and "112" while locked (for better or worse).

10. I have a first aid kit small enough to fit undermy pillion seat which contains 2 first aid dressings which is a big padded thing to stop bleeding and incorperates a bandage, 1 crepe bandage 2 different sizer guidells airways, an ashmens chest seal a pair of gloves, some pain killers, and mediswabs.
    I would also like to get one of the american army issue torniques.

11. +1 to above plus a torch, hard to check out,(or find) patient in the dark, you cant always point your light in right direction...

12. 000 will work on any phone, connecting to any carrier. 000 is also a free call and you don't require a sim to use it. 112 is a GSM emergency call. It will connect you to 000. 112 is an international number, if you dont know the countrys emergency number, 112 on a GSM phone will connect.

13. Thanks for the replies guy's very helpful, will look into a new 1st aid course probably the motorcycle 1 if i can get into it locally, if not at the very least a refresher of my old st johns 1 to be up to date

14. +1

000 will always work providing signal - i have heard a rumour that your phone can boost signal power (at cost of battery life) when attempting to get signal when it's dialled - though not 100% sure on this.

112 diverts to the emergency number.

15. We teach 112 because a locked phone cannot always dial 000. Thats my understanding anyway.
    Telstra actually refer to the 112 number on their website because 112 not 000 will connect to any carrier.
    I've heard the signal boost argument before, but its not correct.
    Its actually that you can't find your network (low signal), but 112 connects to any network making it seem like the signal was boosted.
    http://telstra.com.au/abouttelstra/advice/emergency.cfm

16. 112 is global as well.

17. don't be afraid to help!. remove down rider from danger first(DR ABC etc).
    Last spring/summer i was at the scene of 11 accidents on the black spur and everyone of those but one the rider was injured on the road while people stood around. :shock:
    About a year ago when i got punted off by a car in traffic i was lucky someone pulled me off the road too.
    It's no use doing first aid if the rider(and you) are in danger of being clipped by someone.

18. No you remove the danger from the rider not the rider from danger, besides the D is Danger to you not the injured person.

You're half right. you should never move an injured person especially if they've come off a bike, you could end up making a simple spinal repair a permanent life in a wheelchair or worse. Same goes with removing helmets.

Use your bike, car, anything to protect the injured party and the bystanders. At night light up the scene with highbeams & hazard lights, put people out on point duty to direct traffic around the scene but don't move the person unless there is a fire or something and you've got to pick the lesser of two evils (Spinal injury or burn to death??).

19.  Top
  20. Apparently getting hit directly in the eye by a rubber squash ball can do the same thing too.