Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW What can I change on motorcycle legally?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by Salad Cycle, Sep 27, 2014.

  1. #1 Salad Cycle, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
    I am thinking of changing all the lights, instrumentation and horn?

    Will doing this void registration?

  2. Why do you want to change the horn lol? Not the first mod on most people's list. You'd have to be more specific with what you are wanting to change too. Even try the search button as lights have been covered before
  3. It depends what you want to do. However, by changing the lights and instruments, you'll need an engineering signatory's report, and they're not cheap! Budget at least a grand for that! Are you really sure you want to do these modifications?
  4. Nothing will really void your registration as such, maybe result in a defect notice.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Engineers certificate... Alright thanks.
  6. You'll also need all of the lighting and signalling devices to be "E" marked, and placed according to the relevant spacings, heights, etc.

    The odometer has to be (I think) calibrated to be within +/-4%. The speedo calibration is to be within -0km/h to +10%+4km/h tolerance (ie: it needs to say that you're going faster than you really are).

    Then there's the need for no sharp protrusions, etc.
  7. Why do you want to mess with the lights? Buy a bike that takes commonly available halogens and fit a high performance bulb.
    There's a certain peace of mind/smirk value in having a Nautilus horn like my yw100 has, that said I never had to use it in anger so I don't think i'll bother for my gs500... at least for a while anyway.
  8. Thers a noise limit for horns. Certain db, 120 i think, but someone will be along shortly to correct that figure
  9. Pretty certain that a VASS is not required in Victoria unless you cut the frame.
  10.  Top
  11. Justus is never wrong and even when you are right, Justus can still correct you :p
    • Funny Funny x 3
  12. Haha, I'll pay you that one.

    • Like Like x 1

  13. https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/reg...hicle-modifications/vass-approval-certificate

    "A VASS Approval Certificate is required for modified vehicles if the modification is structural or affecting compliance with the standards for registration."

    Changes to lights, speedo and odo affect compliance, and a VASS is mandatory.
  14. Read VSI 8 and get back to us.
  15. On reading VSI 8 I realised that you're right... Sort of... Additional lighting that complies with the relevant Vehicle Standards Regulations or ADRs is an approved modification, so you're right about that. However, the OP intends to replace all of the standard lights. This is not an approved modification, and as such the OP will need a VASS.

    Just for your info, I'm an approved engineering signatory in my home-state. In a few months it will tick over 14 years that I've had the accreditation. The rules aren't much different from state to state.

    I stand by my advice to the OP: a VASS is needed for the intended modifications.
  16. I'm assuming the Op is in Victoria, hence my advice. I wouldn't have the faintest idea about other states, so I wont comment.

    Regulations between states are vastly different. You should have also noted that VSi8 is pretty much irrelevant to motorcycles and I assume that you would realise VSB14 in particular; NCOP10C LO7 ICV Motorcycle, is of more interest, but being a signatory you would also know that.
    Mmm, I may also pen a letter regarding the changes to mudguards as it appears they haven't updated their requirements.

    Either way, if OP is in Vic most probably wont need a VASS.
  17. #17 danny_tb, Sep 29, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
    @cazzo@cazzo, with all due respect, you don't know what you're talking about, so the best thing to do is to stop putting your incorrect view forward.

    There is nothing in VSI8 that says it isn't relevant to motorcycles. Just because VSI8 also mentions VSB14, it doesn't mean that VSI8 is irrelevant for motorcycles in Victoria.

    NCOP10C is only a checklist. There is quite a bit more to compliancing a vehicle than ticking the checklist (which itself is set out as a form, to be filled out and signed by the authorised engineering signatory).

    NCOP8 is what the OP needs to look at:


    There's nothing in NCOP8 that permits modifications to motorcycle lighting and light signalling devices, or fitment of alternative ones without an engineering signatory's certification. The only thing it has about lights is a picture showing the position, colour and number of specific lights that are required. Likewise, there's nothing permitting the fitment of alternative speedos/odos without an engineering signatory's certification.

    Changing the lights and speedo to different parts requires that the replacements are certified according to the component-specific ADR's, and then the installation must comply with the ADR's covering the fitment of the devices. If the individual parts have "E" marks, they comply with the component requirements. If the parts were not originally intended specifically for the motorcycle in question, and installed in the manner that an OEM part is installed, then an engineer's certification is more than likely required.

    Unfortunately I've spent more time than I can affort rebutting @cazzo@cazzo's incorrect assertions. @cazzo@cazzo, I do know what I'm talking about, but you do not. The next time I certify a streetfighter conversion (ie: requiring certification of changes to lights) it will certainly not be my first. I know very well that the modifications intended by the OP require engineering certification.

    To the OP: by all means, do as you like, but if you want the modifications to be legal (ie: not giving insurance companies an easy excuse to reject your claim in the event of an accident), go to see an engineering signatory before you start modifying your bike. Doing so can actually save you a lot of time and money because you won't be making mistakes that will result in you having to rework certain modifications, or even throw away entire parts that don't comply. The signatory might even be able to point you in the right direction for tradies/parts/methods of doing things, saving time, money, headaches, etc. The engineering signatory will also be able to confirm that I'm correct about the requirement of needing a signatory's certification, and if you just call them on the phone, they will be able to confirm what I've said for free, so you have absolutely nothing to lose! (y)
  18. As if the vicpol wouldnt have had a field day if you neeeded an engineers cert on changed indicators. Which we would of heard about for sure.

    That didnt pass the common sense test.
  19. don't the ADR's have requirements for visibility angles and lux?
    plenty of aftermarket LED indicators are so shit and hard to see they can't possibly pass ADR?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Shhhhh! Don't give VicPol any ideas! Actually I'm surprised that they haven't cracked down on certain popular indicator modifications (although I have heard that some do get canaries from time to time). But I'm not about to elaborate any further.