Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What bike to buy my kid?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by matti-san, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Hi all, I have a son who loves motorbikes nearly as much as his old man! :grin: I getting him a bike this year which will be his first. He is 8YO and has ridden a PW80 with no issues, I think this would last him about a year before he grew out of it.

Now the PW80 is not a bad little bike and I can pick one up new for about $1,800. This was looking like the bike and then if he loves riding as much as I think he will upgrade to a KX65 or similair.

Has anyone had any experience with the Atomik or Pitpro minibikes? A couple of his mates have them and they seem to be OK. The reason I ask is that he will outgrow a 80cc bike in a year and it seems a shame to spend $1,800 as opposed to $700.

Initial riding will be on flat trails and farm paddocks.

Anyway thoughts or opinions are welcome, informed or illinformed :LOL:

2. I had a Honda XR75 for years, and my brother had a Yamaha YZ80. Lasted us each till we were about 13 yrs old. awesome couple of bikes.

In terms of the atomic & pit pro on e-bay, my brothers mates have a couple & they seem not too shabby. they don't come assembled, so as long as you're prepared to put them together then go ahead! They're 4 stroke too, so no fiddling around mixing fuel.

and you can get electric start in case your son has trouble kick starting it.

and cause they're based on a honda engine, they're a piece of cake to repair if anything busts

i recon if you got a 125 atomik or pit pro, it should last a while. nice cheap bike

3. Thanks Edge, the YZ80 was a great little bike, a step up from the Peewee class. The Atomik importer is only 20 minutes from my place so I might wander up there on Saturday and have a closer inspection of the bikes and back up. This what I am looking at only $699 :shock:

21G-70Orange.JPG

http://www.atomik.com.au/motox70.htm

4. Don't buy him a Honda...
    Buy him something Chinese...
    You don't want him to have a better bike than your Hyo

5. I sold the hyosung and will be buying a Husquvarna for myself, watch out wombats here comes Westy! :LOL: :LOL:

6. One of my young blokes is 8yrs and i bought him a brand new import FMC xr50. $500 . Electric start , he's dropped it, crashed it , left it out in the rain, let his mates thrash it, and it still goes every time, it sat in the shed for 6 weeks and started first pop with some assistance (start y bastard).
    The bike came with free training wheels, and assembled.6 month part and labour warranty.I should get $200 when i go to sell, so $300 for 12 months entertainment, bargain.

But im glad i didnt spend 2 grand on a brand name bike when the $500 special does the same thing anyway, especially this point in his career!

7. Haha he sounds like how Nik will treat it!

Your second point is how I am thinking, money doesn't grow on trees :grin: