Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What Bike For A Newbie???

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by cement11, Oct 28, 2006.

1. G'day all. I've just got my licence through QRide (Morgan and Wacker at Springwood- they were excellent) at the ripe old age of 40. I'm a reasonably big bloke (6 ft/105 kg) and I'm wondering what bike/s I should be considering. I learnt on a 883 Sportster, which I really enjoyed. Any advice from more experienced minds (which is almost everyone) would be much appreciated. Cheers.

2. Welcome to the club:
    Such an open ended question, so two back at you.
    What type of riding do you plan to do?
    How much can you spend including gear?
  3. Cruising, nothing too fast, the occasional long trip. Budget is about $10000 plus $2000 for gear.
  4. moto guzzis are always good for touring if you stick to the old-styled type v-twin, perhaps 1000-1100 fuel injected ... the good thing about guzzis is the mechanical reliability and shaft drive (no messing about with chains)
    harleys are bad news, stay away from them if you want low-cost maintenance and reliability
    if you think of bmws and honda leadwings, you might as well get a car
    kawasaki w650s are a good bike, but you'd have to buy second hand
    some of the new triumph "classics" are so-so, but some are pig-ugly ... not 100% sure on mechanical standards, but supposedly good fpr most touring needs
  5. You learned on an 883?

Bloody hell! Hats off to you! Did it shake the fillings out of your teeth? Sorry, you said you enjoyed it, so I'll stop being an arse now.

Seriously, what do your tastes run to? You mentioned the sort of riding you'll be doing, but do you like Harles, jap bikes, cruisers, tourers or sports? If you liked the 883 I'm guessing Harleys/cruisers, but let us know. It's a world of choice out there, and only part of it is practicality. You have to be able to look at your new steed and smile, right?

6. Midsized Jap/Kor cruiser is my guess, like a Vstar, Vulcan, Boulevarde or (gasp) an Aquila. Not as "High-mainentance" as a Harley, still with the relaxed ride it sounds like you enjoy.
  7. Thanks for the advice, folks. I would ultimately like a Harley, but I will probably look at other bikes in the meantime. The 883 was fun to ride, although with so little experience, I have nothing to compare it with.
  8. I'm 47,just had five years on a '98 'Guzzi California...68000 klm with no real dramas,just normal servicing & a set of Ikon shocks...theres plenty of them on bikepoint & bikesales for about $10grand...sadly I had to sell mine due to a back problem(bone spurs)and being 195cm didnt help either...I now find my Aprilia Caponord ETV 1000 a much better fit...but I'm praying I dont crash,...(I'm told)parts are unobtainum...but have noticed a lot of BMW650 & Duc bits fit...
    Goodluck,... :)