Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What bike after CBR300??

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hondaboy, Jan 28, 2015.

1. Hi all. New to the forum. Ive been riding for about 4 months on a CBR300R and I am loving it, Managed to do about 2500 kilometres in that time and I can really feel my skills as a rider improving every day (although still a long way to go). As with all learner riders I am looking at upgrading once I have been riding for a year or so. I just need some suggestions about what would be the ideal bike to upgrade to. I love the Supersport look and I am more than comfortable on these. Rode a CBR600RR the other day (in a parking lot) and was surprised how comfortable it was. Was thinking that a CBR600RR might be a good bike to upgrade to but really need some advice. I am worried that it may be a bit too much for me. Was even thinking of a CBR1000RR but these scare the shit out of me. What have other riders upgraded to and any advice you can give me would be appreciated.

2. I don't know you or your riding abilities, but I think the "don't upgrade too fast" thing gets overplayed a bit. You can always take it easy in the beginning and pretty soon your perspective and muscle memory adapt to the bigger bike's capabilities and responses.

It's up to you to make an honest assessment of where you are as a rider but I know plenty of people who've gone straight from 250's to litrebikes with no problems (and it's not just luck, they took their learning seriously and had the skills and maturity to make the jump - not everyone will).

That said, the jump to a 600 will be a lot easier. They're not particularly torquey and you have to make an effort to get them going, whereas the throttle and brakes on 1000's can feel like light-switches for newer riders.

(Since you asked, once on my blacks I went to an Aprilia RS250 and then to a Suzuki SV650.)
  3. welcome aboard :] take your time test ride em all
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. If you only have four months you should ride the 300 some more.
  5. You mentioned CBR1000RR, so you're off your L's and P's at this point? If not you're probably still restricted to LAMS bikes.
    Either way I wouldn't rush an upgrade. Smaller bikes are more forgiving, the LAMS bikes are all under a certain power to weight ratio for this reason.

Although I've got a big yellow L-plate on the back of my bike, so what do I know.
  6. Sfv650 are pretty good bikes.
    plenty of torque down low and pretty agile bikes too,but they're naked not supersport.
  7. It's great to hear the opinion of others. You will know what is right for you and this will depend on your confidence. I've had my L's for 2 months (and will be on LAMS bikes for 2years 10months yet) but I'm constantly checking out what new bikes are out there for when I get off the restrictions... don't think I'll be able to pass on a BMW S1000RR though...
  8. Does the probationary period start while you're on L's? I thought it was 3 years from the day you start you "license phase" (vs learner phase).
    Not bagging your maths, seriously wondering. I'm rushing to get off learners so the 3 years starts ASAP, makes me feel better if it's already started.
  9. you've just made me weep a little... you are right, my maths is crap, I'm just an architect who never got his pen license... I need therapy...

Crayons and pencils are fun though :]
  10. Damn, was hoping you knew something I didn't :(
  11. I do... Did you know that when George Gervin needed 58 points to win the NBA (ABA) scoring title in 1978 he broke Wilt Chamberlain's record for most points in a quarter?
  12. Which state are you in? How old are you?

You may be on a LAMS bike for 2+ years.

What should you buy next shouldn't be the question your are asking. The question you should be asking yourself is how do I improve my skills.

As for which bike you should get when you can upgrade, my advice is for you to ride absolutely EVERY THING you can get your hands on, cruisers, all road tourers, sports bikes, nakeds etc. Don't limit yourself to one style of bike.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Why upgrade?
  14. You need to get a cbr 1000 rr as quickly as possible, park it in your bedroom and study it intently, appreciate it and lust after it for the next 3 years.

<------------- For the right money i may consider letting the Repsol go to a bedroom near you soon.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Shit man we all know that! Give us something more obscure willya?
  16. I've never riden a 300 but have owned and rode a cbr125 and a gs500. I now ride an r6 and feel it was a great step up from the gs500. Progressive power and easy handling imo. Only as fast as you want it to be. Think a super sport would be the way to go. Cheaper than the litre bikes too.
  17. Most supermoto bikes are learner legal, get one as a second bike
  18. I'm in pretty much the same boat as you hondaboyhondaboy - same bike, same k's, same length of time with license. There's a deep desire to get a faster more powerful bike but I'd need to invest in a lot of brown underpants first lol
    Plus get a lot more skilled, experienced, etc etc yes yes
  19. Just get the thou'

You won't regret it, and it will be something you'll wont outgrow in a hurry.

The power of a CBR1000RR is certainly something to respect, but if you're measured, it won't be a problem at all. It's all about being disciplined.
    You will hone your skills on this bike and grow with it. No need to shit yourself.

I don't regret it at all - despite some saying it may not be a good idea at the time. Best thing I ever did.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. The CBR600RR is a racer with lights.
    If you really, really want one for whatever reason, go ahead and get it.
    However if you're asking for advice it's my opinion that unless you are the most extraordinary talent, you'd be smoother, safer and if pushing on a bit, faster on the CBR650F.