Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What Are Your Tactics When Buying A Bike?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by Timmy32, Nov 23, 2012.

1. As the title says, what are your tactics when buying a used bike from a private seller?

Do you low ball them below their asking price and then work the price down from the original?

Do you just pay the asking price?

Do you look up the advised price on redbook?

etc

2. I've only bought from forum members, so my technique is only to go look at bikes where I feel the advertised price is fair and then pay that price, assuming description matches the product.

S' pretty much how I do all my big ticket items. If your asking price is too high, I don't bother going to see it.

3. I look at red book/ other bikes and come up with what I think it's worth. Then I double the difference between the asking price and what I think it's worth.

Although the bike I just bought I thought they were asking under what it was worth. I knocked $400 off for the starting offer and he took it straight away. I kind of felt bad about it.

4. I find a bike I like, I give the owner money, I take the bike home.

I've never understood why people in this country feel the need to haggle on the price of a used vehicle, but won't haggle over the price of other things ("why yes the food at this restaurant was quite good, but I only think the steak was worth $22.95 not $28.95 and that's my best offer"). So I don't feel the need to encourage it. If the advertised price is too high I'll just keep looking.

5. It depends on the circumstance. But generally, I use the same 'tactic' with dealers and private sellers.

First thing I do is research the market. I find out what the average price of a similar bike (make/model) is, find out how many are out there for sale etc. It's harder to negotiate on a bike that is popular but there are limited numbers available.

Usually I low ball them, but not to the point of offending them, and go from there. I always have a price I'm prepared to pay in my find and I'm happy to walk away if the seller won't play ball with me.

Dealing with a dealer is a little more interesting, particularly if you are doing a part trade. Dealers will want to negotiate the price they pay for your trade-in. I go in with my kicking boots on and tell the dealer how much 'cash' I'm going to give him. I don't care what he gives me for my trade or how much he knocks of the price of the bike/car I'm buying, I am going to give him $X and my bike/car and he is going to give me the bike/car I'm buying. If he doesn't I walk away.

Having said that, the bloke selling the bike my wife bought wanted $4000. We paid $4000, I didn't negotiate at all. I did some research on the extra's we were getting and decided that $4000 was a more than fair price for an '02 SV650S with 30,000km on the clock, Yoshi pipe, jetted carbies, K&N airfilter, ZX10R rear shock, race tech fork springs, single seat cowl, billet foot pegs/levers, custom exhaust hanger, bagster tank cover and sheepskin seat cover. We also got the original foot pegs and levers, pillion footpegs and hangers, pillion seat, jets (plus other sizes) and fork springs.

My wife wanted to negotiate, I didn't because I already felt like we were stealing it from him.

6. Same, I didn't haggle for the used XVS650 I bought, it was already cheap and in fantastic condition. Haggled for the Triple cause it was new - got stuff thrown in for that.

7. Yeah new is definitely different since I suspect there's a certain degree of flexibility deliberately put into the rrp (and accessories aren't worth anywhere near as much as they charge for them).

I know someone who used to work as a car dealer back in the 90s and they told me that air-con was actually included in the price of the car and fitted standard - but that dealers had the option of either making $2k by selling it as an "option", or throwing it in for free as a "bonus" when people tried haggling on the price. What really made things difficult was one old guy who insisted that his car not have air-con, since the cost of removing it really ate into their commission.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Would you be upset if you bought a bike for the market value, and then had a friend buy the exact same condition bike for a cheaper price? If you can get a good deal then I dont see the problem. Obviously no one is going to sell their bikes at a price they arent comfortable with.

9. Happens all the time, and not just with bikes. Many years ago my wife wanted a manual Magna station wagon with air con, we could only afford, at best, an 18month old car. We paid top dollar for it, because there weren't many around at the time. 6 months later it seemed there were hundreds of them, all cheaper than the one we bought.

10. No, that's just their good luck. That friend could have easily not gotten a bike at all if someone else had come along and offered the full advertised price whilst the seller was considering their lower offer (as I did with the last two bikes I bought).

If I was selling a bike for a fair price, and had to waste hours of my time on people making ridiculously low offers with no intention of paying what was advertised, then I'd be upset.

11. remind me not to buy a bike from you JD.

12. I take months or more to buy a new bike. And I know most of the sales staff in the shops here as I have worked in most of them.

First give them a sniff your interested.
    Come back a week later with the Geez I don't know if I can afford it.. Nah cant.
    A good two week interval and I'm back.

If the bike is still on the floor...it's costing them money, and it ain't the pretty new one to look at...to them... and they have looked at it about twenty times a day x 31 days now...it's old stock.

Never ever buy on impulse or a promise.
    Never drop money down till you have ridden it. No deposit nothing. Don't let them bullshit you a deposit is needed before a test ride. They give you that shit you email the importer strait away.

Never rely on their finance and never put a deposit down on a bike without writing and having them sign on the contract that the deal is conditional to you obtaining the finance from your parents...even if you aren't. That is your big get out if you start having doubts.

If you buy second hand off a bike shop your an idiot.

Remember there are twenty bikes on the floor to ONE customer. You hold every card. Don't ever let them think otherwise.

Now for my best one.
    Shut the Fark up. Your power is in the unspoken word. Not bullshit!
    The more you speak the more leverage you give him to part with more of your cash. Frown a lot, shake your head a lot and blow out lots of air.
    He is trying to sell you the bike. Not the other way around. Your not selling your money. Your giving the first ten grand away if you keep that bike three years.
    Just keep quite, barely interested and look him strait in the eye, even more so when you feel the bullshit buzzer.
    You wont have to ask for the best deal. You will just get it if your smart

• Like Like x 3
  13. Just to add to Bretto61's comments. Something my dad always did and taught me to do.

After the test ride don't tell them what is good about the bike, they already know that. Rather tell them all the things you don't like, sometimes you might have to get a bit creative and maybe even a bit petty, but do it. If you don't think you can, then your fall back position is to say nothing, be non committal.

14. cash talks....last two bikes i've purchased in the past couple months 1st being a zxr 250A listed at 4 grand....and the second being a unregistered cbx 250 that's a near finished project bike (completely running just needs controls patched up on the hangers) which was listed at 800...

i've done the both with same bikes which is have the owner bring the bike to a designated place....i've test ridden it...and although having the full amount of money on hand - picked at a few things....and basically told both owners i'd offer them $3,500/$500 cash right there right now otherwise i'll be saying no and happily give them $50 for their hassle of coming out.

both accepted fairly quickly as a few hundred less in there hands now is better than sitting on a bike waiting for a unknown time to get that extra bit of money...even then it's not guaranteed.

15. Get drunk and accidentally buy bikes on ebay.......Luckily haven't bought anything that silly yet.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Plz don't tell me that's how you landed that lovely 2 banger

17. I think it's a bit unrealistic to not expect 'haggling' when you sell a bike privately. haggling is part of everyday life nowadays for big ticket items. I mean, would you buy a house at the advertised price?? If you're selling then I would expect you to add $$ to compensate for the hagglers. That way if you want 5G for your bike & advertise it at 6G's, you may get talked down to 5 1/2G's or so? If you take great offence then just say 'No, thanks'. It's not that hard. Also know what your bike is worth...not what you paid for in mods.

Yes, I think do your research by looking at redbook and what similar bikes are selling for on EvilBay, Bike Sales etc and then stick with that budget. Don't make stupidly low offers & be realistic.

As I said, I don't think it's so offensive to haggle these days in fact, I reckon you lose out sometimes by NOT haggling. And by haggling I don't mean arguing! God, even JB Hi Fi knock $$ off the ticketeted price themselves to sell to you!

18. When I bought mine, I didn't really haggle the price per sé, I haggled items. I gave him a phone call (being unlicensed) and asked him if he had much interest in the bike, he told me some stories about time wasters, so I said straight up, and quote

“I will give you the full asking price, in cash today, with only two conditions, you throw in a helmet, and you deliver it to my door.” He happily agreed, and I got myself a bike I was happy with. I snagged my 08' CBR 125R for $2,000.

I didn't really look around for other prices or use “redbook” - I just paid what I thought it was worth. Even if I paid more, I don't mind, but I still agree it was worth it until this day, even after the accident.

19. You get use to accidents mate... only hurts for a bit......all good

20. I was extremely proud, and got up laughing. Still, I found it shocking that no-body helped, plenty of people around. Let's hope it's a few years before I have another. ;D