Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What are these?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by bonkerrs, May 22, 2011.

1. Didn't know where else to post this. And its quite noob'ish...

What are rearsets and clip-ons? What are the advantages of changing to them?

2. Google is your friend.
    By no means an expert myself, but I believe clip-ons are handlebars that are much easier to take on and off, and rearsets are handlebars that are set further backwards, making for a more up right riding position rather than being bent over the tank.
  3. no rearsets are foot controls
  4. Rearsets

Mainly used for track bikes or as bling for road bikes
  5. If I'm not mistaken rearsets means you can adjust the foot controls to suit you.

What are the benefits of clip ons?
  6. Lol! A little off the mark there dude. Clip on bars are a pair of handle bars that mount off the forks as opposed to conventional dirt bike style bars (single tube bent to shape). All sports bikes have clipons standard. Rearsets are the riders pegs and lever setup again standard parts.

Where the confusion comes in is if someone says "It's got clipons and rearsets", there are referring to aftermarket parts which usually provide a more aggressive (uncomfortable) riding position and they're usually adjustable and much more blingy than the stock items.
  7. Google is friends with everyone!! :p
  8. I welcome our Google overlords :)
  9. These are rearsets (right?)

Am I correct in saying that rearsets are different from 'footpegs' because they can change your foot position, depending on what you buy. Besides being bling, that's the reason for getting them.
  10. That's just a mess. Something is getting caught in the chain, and I don't want to be on the bike when that happens.
  11. Not really. The foot pegs are typically a part of the rearsets. It's just the name for that group of parts (stock or aftermarket). Some stock rearsets are also adjustable to allow slightly different positions.
  12. So rearsets are the shifters that have the front and back pegs instead of just the one at the front? I was actually considering trying to find a set for my Enfield, I don't find it particularly comfortable pushing the shifter up from underneath with my foot, whereas you can just step on the rear peg instead with rearsets yeah?
  13. Basically horrible nasty uncomfortable things, you would not put on your bike unless you really had too.
    The Thruxton will have plenty of lean angle for a while yet.
    Rear sets move the footpegs further back and up for more ground clearance when leaning. The shifter moves because it has to. To reach your new foot position.
  14. rear set stands for "rear set of controls" even stock pegs are called rear sets....

man the google foo is failing
  15. That isn't the best example pic, but yes - those are rear sets.

In the old days, pretty much all bikes came with a comfortable general purpose upright riding position, like what you'd see on a dirt bike or a commuter bike today. Common mods to help with going faster were to get a set of pegs or a peg mounting system that moved the pegs up and back, for a variety of reasons, including but not restricted to getting more cornering clearance. They came to be called rear-sets. Another common mod was to fit handlebars that were lower and further forward, again to help the rider assume and keep a racing crouch. People were even known to stick their bars back in the clamps upside down, but there were usually problems with that. The ultimate answer, the one top racers quickly adopted, was to develop handlebars that 'clipped on' to the fork legs. This started becoming common on race bikes from the '50s and '60s, but didn't happen much on the road until standard bikes started to appear with clip-ons in the '80s.

No. That's a heel-&-toe shifter, and it's a different beast entirely. You see things like that on the highway pegs / forward controls on some customs, and on some agricultural bikes. I think the postie bike has them, doesn't it?
  16. Oh right. Meh, being a tallish road trail rider I'm more concerned with getting the seat-to-footpeg height bumped up and putting thicker bars on.
  17. The point of rear-sets, as often described by after market sets, is that they allow adjustment, AND, the purpose for which is to set the foot peg position more to the rear of the bike to facilitate a more racing form on the bike. They are also set higher for increased ground clearence, during more extreme lean angles.
    They are'nt overly cofortable for general riding but are a bit of a 'must have', if you do track days etc.
    You don't realize you need them, until you are able to go fast enough through corners on the track, and it becomes a high priority. The standard oem pegs etc, become inadequate.
  18. So basically don't worry about it unless you are a tryhard road racer or you actually use your bike at track days.
  19. Actually although modern rear set pegs are adjustable they don't need to be. Traditionally clipons and rearsets were the mark of the Cafe Racer giving you a more sporty riding position. As in the Moto Guzzi below...

20. God I must be getting old. That looks bloody good. Oldies just seem to have a character the new ones don't.