Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What are the essentials for a road trip?

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by moog, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Planning my first road trip in Januray and wondering from thoe of you have toured before, what items you found essential for the comfort/enjoyment of your trip.

Do you take GPS or map?

Tent or Hotel?

2 sets of undies or 10?

Food on the bike or stop and buy food as needed?

Anything you can think of would be really helpful.
  2. Pack as light as you possibly can! Pack everything, only packing what you think will need.

Then do it again and get rid of 50% of it.

Most important thing is to stay highdrated. Have maps of the areas you'll be in/near, someone knows where you're going to be at certain times (roughly of course). Have a mobile, have phone numbers of contacts easily identifiable on phone (eg. 'mum', 'parents', 'home', etc. incase the worst happens and they need to be contacted. If its a long trip, I'd suggest an aftermarket seat or a sheepskin cover for it. I haven't toured myself, but do like long day rides, and plan on doing some longer trips when I get a bike more capable of said trips.

Take it easy and have fun, and let us know how it goes.

I'm sure some of the experienced tourers will have alot to add.
  3. 1: Bike
    2: Rider
    3: Fuel.

Regards, Andrew.
  4. Spare jocks and socks are most important. A rough idea where you're going and hiw long for would help too, then we would know if you need to pack water. Re tent vs hotel, it's simple really, tent will be cheaper but more you have to carry and be less comfy than a hotel (generally speaking).

If spending long days in the saddle then the sheepy hollow is a very worthwhile option. Dunno how they work or the logic behind it, but they do...

Oh and pack your wet weather gear where it's accessible, just in case too :)
  5. Depends how long you're going for and where you're headed (out of the way places???)

For my 2wk trip to Sydney/Brisbane I took:

2 pairs of non-riding pants...pack them as there's nothing nicer than having that shower after a long day of riding and slipping into some comfy, clean, everyday pants - stored in saddlebags
    1 pair of draggins (which I lived in every day and washed most nights).
    1 pair of wet-weather pants - usually folded in half and then secured along with tent etc on back of bike.
    1 long sleeved thermal top - very very handy...saddlebags
    1 woolen turtleneck skivvy - very very handy...saddlebags
    1 long sleeved cotton top - very very handy...saddlebags
    2 singlet tops - great for cold weather (I often wore the two of them at same time under thermal top/skivvy etc) AND great for warm weather riding (worn alone under jacket). Totally recommend you pack some....saddlebags
    Knickers x 4...saddlebags
    Socks x 4...saddlebags
    Bathers - if you plan on going for a swim....saddlebags
    2 t-shirts - very very handy for warm weather riding AND cold weather riding (worn under skivvy etc)...saddlebags
    Neck warmer - very handy...tankbag
    Riding boots

Notes on clothing - I found most of this stuff to be perfectly adequate. Only thing that sticks out in my mind is that I didn't end up packing thongs - Next time I will, simply cos my feet weren't too happy wearing the boots every second of the day.

Most of the above - when not being worn - was stored in my saddlebags.

Camping equipment:

Tent - pillion seat
    Sleeping mat - 3/4 length one - pillion seat
    Sleeping bag ... one of the micro ones that hardly takes up any room - pillion seat

Microfibre towel
    Phone and charger
    Ipod and charger
    Basic first aid kit
    Small tube of chain lube
    Toolkit for bike
    Cable ties
    Gaffa tape
    Small tin of WD40
    Visor cloth
    Drinking bottle (water)
    Plastic shopping bags (for dirty clothing and for using as waterproof socks).

Cant think of what else at the moment!

Oooh! A camera...and take heaps of piccies cos we want to see/hear all about it. ;) :)

Hope that helps - I took most of the above post from my thread here:

6. Strange nobody has said..

Tyre repair kit, and a pump or sufficient CO2 bottles and adaptor to re-fill tyre/s. Ensure you have plenty of CO2 bottles and plugs in case you puncture both tyres, many only carry enough CO2 for 1 tyre.

Road service membership (premium cover) with NRMA, RACQ etc, so that if the worst happens help is available and towing won't send you to get a 2nd mortgage. Many people do not really consider this essential, until they need it. NRMA in NSW is $150 a YEAR for premium cover, and this will be less than the cost of 1 tow to get you out of trouble.
  7. Haha! well that depends on how fast you wana go :grin:
  8. Good idea. Thank you. Does the NRMA membership work in Vic?

to add. 1st, pack the bike, then pack for yourself.

1. puncture repair kit
    2. cable ties
    3. surgical gloves
    4. pressure gauge
    5. small torch
    6. gofer tape
    7. disk lock
    8. all important telephone numbers
    9*. tool kit (probably already came with the bike)

as for myself, I pack light. Undies, socks, towel, tooth brush and an extra t-shirt.
  9. NRMA membership works nationwide and in fact internationally in alot of countries through recipricol arrangements.

The benefits afforded to you are well worth the $150.
    You can get towed home free if vehicle cant be mobilised within 24 hours, and you get rental car, accomodation etc etc.

I wouldn't be without it.
  10. I just got the NRMA for the bike ,the peace of mind on a trip away ,knowing you can and will get help is great. :grin:

And carry a spare key ,you get tied and loose things ,plus you got 20 pockets in the jackets etc and easy to misplace.
  11. 4: Road

12. After two days of riding for hours in the rain on the weekend, great advice. I have a DriRider overall style suit - works great.

I also have the nylon boot covers which keep your feet dry.

I'm yet to get the nylon mittens, due to pretty good waterproofing in the gloves.

And unless you have fibreglass panniers, pack all your stuff in plastic bags as well.
  13. I've ummed and ahhed about this, and despite owning a Harley and an Aprilia and now an even more exotic bike - none of them have broken down.

I rang on the eve of my first trip departure to enquire,and NRMA wanted to charge me $50 because it was within 48 hours of needing it - worked out I'm miles in front and will just call them when I need them :p
  14. I think that something like an unrepairable flat tyre etc that could leave you stranded is too much risk for me, I have every confidence in my bike's reliability, but you never know.

You will get a rude shock when you call them as you need them....haha

If you are say 5-600km from home, and say 150km from the nearest dealer, I would hate to be your credit card, you wouldn't be ahead for long, especially with anything exotic that might need towing to a major centre for repairs.
    Add the towing cost to time wasted waiting around and the disruption to a journey, hotel costs and/or alternative transport home and the return cost to pick the bike up again once repaired it could be very expensive to be without it.

Some are willing to take that risk, but for me I like the re-assurance :wink:
  15. I take one change of clothes, a few pairs of jocks n socks, a credit card, a camera and my normal underseat tools, which includes a tyre repair kit. If I'm riding with others I might include a first aid kit. If there's a chance it'll get wet, I take wets. Oh, and usually a motor bicycle.

Bollocks to roadside assistance - I've attended or been involved in a shitload of crashes and breakdowns and they've always worked out ok - in fact those bits have generally been some of the most memorable adventures. Amazing the resourcefulness and generosity of the people you meet on the road. Cast yourself upon the kindness of strangers and go for it!
  16. Lucky you got that good rain suit ,that 48 hours till the cover is "activated" is a long time to wait on a country back road. :wink:
  17. You missed my point, or I didn't explain myself well enough :oops:

If I need NRMA I will simply call and pay the $50 premium for short notice :wink:
  18. Wow! Can't believe how much stuff you fit into your saddle bags!

Very helpful you showing us where you stored everything.

19. [-X
    If you need it when you breakdown, and you don't have it:
    2. I´m not a Member. Can I get immediate roadside assistance?
    Yes. However you will be required to pay an On Road Join & Go fee of $159.20 plus the cost of the subscription (Premium, Classic etc) plus a $55.00 administration fee.

Or you can wait 48 hours from the time you join, and you won't have to pay the $159.20, but you might need to pitch your tent or pay for a hotel, and leave your bike on the side of the road......They make sure you suffer for not having paid up in the first place :LOL:
  20. Hey moog - all that stuff at the bottom of the list was put in my tank bag (forgot to add that to the details).

Sure does look like a lot of stuff but it's not really. Not for a 2wk interstate trip anyway.

A tyre repair kit is a good suggestion too - but learn how to use the thing before you go!

And sooo where are you thinking of heading?? How long for?