Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What are Radial-mount front brake calipers?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by MLC, Sep 28, 2004.

1. someone please explain to me what are radial-mount front brake calipers and how are they different. I read or hear about them being the latest trend but don't understand how they are different from what we had before.

2. Radial mount front brake calipers are what (I think from memory) the ZX-6R & GSX-600 have had since 2003 (don't quote me though because I reallly know stuff-all about bikes).

Apparently radial mounted brake calipers are better at maintaining alignment with the rotor (meaning that the pads have better contact).
    "Normal" brake calipers are mounted at one end (leading edge) , meaning that the pads don't contact equally along their length... Radial mount brake calipers have mounting points on both ends (on the leading and trailing edge).
    Because of this, the calipers are "stiffer", and are also more effective. :)
  3. We have a technical section for this sort of stuff :shock: :D .