Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What are high kms for a 250 twin?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by figarow, Mar 3, 2007.

1. I am looking at purchasing a 250cc cruiser. My question is how many kms on the clock is too high to consider in general? I have looked at a coulpe of bikes and one had 80,000 kms which I thought was too much, what do you guys think?

Thanks for the help.
  2. well, if you can get it over 140km/h you will be doing well :LOL:
  3. Around 250,000kms is starting to push it.
  4. Thanks for the reply, I have 2 things working against me. 1) I only have 2K AU$ to spend which limits my choice dramatically. 2) I am not really mechanically minded. The bike with the 80,000 kms on the clock was a Yamaha Verigo 1994. He wants 2.5K AU$ but I think I can get him down to 2K. I took it for a test ride and it pured like a kitten, very smooth no noises unusual, the bike sounded quiet, no ticking sound at all. The acceleration was smooth and I could not fault the bike at all. I could only take the bike to 70km/h as I was in small streets. After the ride I looked for any oil leaks around the engine and could not find any.

Apart from a dead battery this bike is in perfect physical condition, the only thing that is putting me off is the high kms.

What should I do? The guy is an old guy who has had the bike for 12 months, he bought it from another old guy (who sells bikes on the side). When he got the bike he gave it oil change, new plugs etc, and did the work himself. The bike has no service books but does come with the manual.

Would you guys buy based on what I said?
  5. If you're not mechanically minded, don't buy a $2k bike, unless you have access to more money.

Regards, Andrew.
  6. Are you saying Yep from your perspective or mine? I don't have much mechanical knowedge as I said so if it needs anything done it will go the the shop.
  7. buy it. its a vigro plenty of everything avaliable
  8. i would buy it, if the engine sounds good and it dosent blow smoke or have any oil leaks it should be ok. you cant expect to buy a bike with low klms on it for the sake of $2000.
  9. hmmmm high kms isn't necessarily bad, good on you for considering it!!

my bike (VTR250) had done over 54000 kms when i bought it (or is it 44 :? )

still high kms for the year... yet nothing's gone wrong!

check for the service history of the bike. Does the owner get it serviced regularly? or service it himself regularly?
  10. :roll:

11. 54000 :p
  13. dont worry matey, im always here to help point it out for you :rofl:
  14. My 1980 CB250 twin with 82000 hasn't caused me any problems in 4000km's of ownership, and no future problems are looming.

Buy it, or better yet, buy my bike.