Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What a morning, what a close escape and then the day got bad

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Zane Marx, Apr 2, 2009.

1. So riding my motorbike into work this morning in the pouring rain, I’m talking monsoon, solid sheets of white falling out of the sky, being very very careful to not crash, not slip and not die. Riding up the pacific highway and get to the Epping road turn off. Two lanes of traffic are going straight ahead and two are turning right.

I’m in the right had lane to go straight ahead, suddenly the fu**ing a**ehole in the van next to me who was waiting to turn right decides that he now wants to go straight, and that I constitute a gap in the traffic and its ok to merge lanes into me. Almost killed me, managed to avoid the accident. Heart going about a million miles an hour, yelling abuse into my helmet for all the good it will do but sure made me feel better. Wow if I wasn’t awake already let me tell you, I’m wide awake now. I was giving myself some room to buffer the car in front, wet weather etc and riding in the left wheel track so that people in the right hand turning lane can see me in their side mirrors and makes it easier for a head check, just in case they want to merge out. Was a typical SMIDSYT moment.

This was a perfect example of where being road aware and accelerating out of a situation is the safest thing to do. I know that cars tend to do the sneaky jink out at those lights so I was watching the traffic and concentrating hard and had buffered to what may be considered the wrong side, ie left wheel track, but was the right riding position for that road situation. Even more important in the wet than at any other time. I saw his wheels turning before I saw him moving. The moment I saw that happen I gassed it, if I had braked I would have more than likely locked up and probably gone into the side of him or been forced out of my lane and been ridden up the back by another car.

I ride another km up the road…. Bike surges forward and then looses all power, gets power back, then looses power again. Look down, fark…. Empty petrol tank….. I’m on the pacific highway in the overtaking lane and have to try and merge across two lanes of peak hour traffic, walking my bike. Finally manage to do that… so now I’m blocking the curb side lane of the highway pushing a bike getting rained on and feeling like I want to fall into a hole. At that moment I thanked all my gods that I hadn’t run out of petrol next to the douche in the van.

Totally my fault, in all the dramas of getting wet weather gear on, concentrating on the road etc I didn’t check the fuel situation.

Finally manage to get my bike after about 5 mins of pushing to Northside Motorcycles, which just happened to be on the road. That’s when the morning starts looking up… the guy in the shop gave me a few litres of free petrol to get me back on the road and had a chat for a few minutes. Good to see we look after eachother. Huge thanks to him.

And in case you’re wondering why I didn’t just drive… my car’s at the smash repairs cos some douche bag ran into the back of me.

Finally as if the morning could not get any worse… I get to work, get pulled in by my boss into a meeting room to be told that I’ve been made redundant. Farking Global Financial Crisis.

I guess there are two timely reminders here:

1. Always be aware of what’s going on on the road around you and use all the skills of road-craft to keep you safe. Buffering, Lane position, situational awareness, previous experience, common sense etc. Esp in the wet.
    2. Always perform your pre-ride safety check, or at least make sure you got enough fuel in the tank to get you to where you have to go…

2. Well that sucks a bit mate. Tough luck, onwards and upwards.
  3. with that weather you should have taken a boat.
  4. Bugger...you got out of trouble pretty well on the bike...then lifes troubles caught up with you. Sorry to hear that. :-(

But had you copped it on the bike as well as work - THAT would've been just too much...so there is a bit of good in it I guess.

5. bad luck mate.

least your bikes alright, more time for riding now :D
  6. Glad to hear you're still alive but sorry to hear about the employment situation.

Best of luck,

7. Mate let me tell you I'll be out on the bike a hell of a lot more now. I have been complaining that I haven't had a chance to get out as much as i would like due to work. Its hard to get out to a weekend ride if you're stuck in an office.

I'm more glad that the bike is ok than I am upset about the job. It would have sucked to have gone down.

Its also a lot more fun doing a mid week ride than a weekend one, less people to deal with.

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

8. Feel a little like this then, I assume?

Make em all pay :p
  9. :LOL: I love it. Yeah was feeling like that this morning. But i decided to make them pay in a more imaginative way. Now after a two hour lunch, (they don't expect me to keep giving my 100% do they) and a full belly I'm feeling much better. Lunch again tomorrow and I may also have to head to the gym for an hour.

Still just to come back onto the new rider's tips for a minute I'm so glad I was watching the road and that diretion that the van drivers tires were pointing. Got me out of trouble.
  10. Re: What a morning, what a close escape and then the day got

Glad to hear you're okay. As someone who's planning on getting a license later this year, I really appreciate people's near miss stories on here because, at least for me, it brings home the reality of what real riding is.

Best of luck with the job-hunting :)
  11. Question about lane positioning when passing on multi-lanes.

I generally sit in the right hand wheel track when in the inside (overtaking) lane. My reasons are:

1. I don't assume anything about the car in the left lane - it won't check its mirrors, it won't see me if it did nor will it indicate as far as I'm concerned. So I'm going to buffer like a mofo.

2. I'd rather be in the mirrors of the car in front and in the face of the car behind.

In any case, my time in the inside lane is short lived.

Am I doing it wrong? Today I saw a lad on the left wheel track passing me (I was caging it up like a softy in the rain) and it made me doubt. Then I read about it here, thus the question.
  12. Not to impose, but when you're looking for your next job, you'll probably be needing a referral from them. If you be an arsehole because they had (or chose) to make you redundant, then they'll probably be arseholes and give you a fcuking shit referral. If you're nice about it, keep working as hard as you did before, and don't show any hard feeling, then they'll probably want to give you a glowing report.

As a side note, are you at least getting a redundancy package? Hope so, and hope it's good.
  13. sorry to hear bout the job but good that you and your bike are still in one piece.

naked bikes sure don't give much protection in the rain!
  14. Zane Marx,
    Not to further impose at to what Stueh has said, I couldn't agree more with him. Having an employer make someone redundant is a real blow to the affected person, and I believe many of us have been there in the past. I can certainly speak with experience on this matter.
    Burning your bridges, in this day and age can possibly lead to further unnecessary detrimental outcomes. Word of mouth in all job descriptions/industries is an extremely powerful thing.
    No matter how long you have left with your current employer, try to continue with the same amount of effort/attention to detail as you previously did. I know it's a pride thing, but mate, YOU will have the last laugh this way, and not them. It's all about looking after No.1 :)
    On a more important note, it's pleasing to hear you made it through ok with your recent ordeal and your advice, in point form, will remind all in here that riding is NOT to be taken for granted. Pre-ride checks were not just something they mention in the handbooks or pre-L's/P's course days.. it's a real thing.
    Safe happy riding to you mate and best of luck with onwards and upwards future opportunities.

15. Sorry to hear this news Zane. Finally arriving at work, I'm sure you thought you'd used up all your bad luck for the day. I PM'd you earlier this week to see if you felt like catching up for a ride over the Easter break. Sounds like you will have some extra time for some more riding (hopefully not for too long). Anyhow, let me know if you feel like a ride up the northern beaches some time.

16. Sorry to hear about your craptacular day... You came out of it a bit wiser and all going well will get something even better job wise :)
  17. Yeah that sucks mate. I got sacked on thursday too. Started uni this year and was told that it'd be okay for me to do reduced hours. Well apparently not cause i got told my last day would be this coming thursday. Ten years with the company. Oh well, anyone got any good magee noodle recipes?

Seriously though, glad you didn't get squashed.
  18. robertm, its seems to be going around a lot these days. Feel for you mate, especially now.

For the rest of the guys, thanks for the sensible advice, you're right, it's never good to burn bridges and you never know when you need a reference.

Sooty, mate I can't answer with authority but as I said in the OP, I normally ride in the right wheel track, on occasion I move to the left hand side of the lane when the situation warrants it. You have the whole lane, you may as well use it to keep yourself in as safe a position as possible.

19. That's true. Good luck you'll bounce back. Takes the lows to appreciate the highs.