Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

What 250 bikes to avoid (or what to be wary of)...

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by ashes, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Often we get a question like "I'm new and thinking of getting a ....". We then go about giving good/bad reasons for the choice and factors to consider.

We all know the Across is a great bike and not a bad word to say on them (except maybe Tanya :D )...but how about some experiences and pitfalls from current and former 250 pilots about their first steed.

2. I'm happy to post comments on my current ride, but I don't have anything to compare to. Oh well, take from this what you will:

Yamaha XV250 Virago
    Type: Cruiser
    Engine: 4-stroke V-Twin

Pros: Cruiser styling, simple to ride, bullet-proof motor, cheap to fix, lightweight, reasonable for a taller rider, optional flat handlebars.

Cons: Gets blown around a bit in winds, limited power with a big rider, limited cornering clearance, no tacho, no storage capacity.

Overall: Decent learner's bike if you like a cruiser. Probably will want to upgrade it once off your restrictions though.
  3. Have bugger all comparison also

4 stroke v-twin
    naked bike

Handles well - very forgiving of my early mistakes, good grunt off the lights, starts easy, stops well, looks great (I thinkso), cheap to run, holds value well.

Holds value too well for a twofiddy, not a lot of go over 120 ks, a bit windy before I put the screen on it, bugger all under-seat storage, no centrestand for maintenance rear suspension a bit stodgy

Overall - again, shit all for comparison, but compared to what I have ridden, great 'ride' quality and bulletproof handling, reasonably comfy on a 700 k ride (in one day), pleases mine eye. Would recommned to anyone other than LAM-state dudes, and even then, it's a perfect learner.

I am struggling with my pre--pre full licence shopping, the VTR has spoiled me in a way as it was such an obvious choice for a 250, but once you go 600cc up the choice is annoyingly wide.