Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wet weather riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TheCatsMeow, Dec 25, 2011.

1. for those of you round ringers would know its storming like a b itch out today but after the excitement of the thunder *so loud it was making my ears ring did i nearly get hit ??? lol* and the splashing of the water.
    when i got to my apartment there is a ramp to get to the carpark my bike spun out and i slid *1st crash if you can call it that* on the ramp.
    wet wheels slipery surface not much i could do just wondering what tips you have for a noob to ride in the wet or should i say not to fall off the bike like an idiot

2. Lower your speeds a little

Increase your distance to the car in front

Gentle inputs

Relaxed elbows and wrists

Tyre pressures, and,

Avoid tram tracks at all possible costs :LOL:
  3. i think it may have been the gentle inputs when i got to my apartment i just wanted to get outta the rain causing me to be a bit careless. just gutted because I WAS HOME and i just HAD to fall haha that being said my spada is still in tip top condish tiny tiny scuff on the exhaust and that makes me feel a little better

p.s merry xmas NR
  4. you're not wrong. theres big get ****ed lightning bolts smoting mankind left right and center here. sirens wailing.
    imma turn on the news later to see what got bbq'd.

only answer is smooth. like you've got and eggs between your hands and the levers. don't crack the eggs.
  5. It was a good idea to get out quick...if you got hit by one of those lemon sized hail stones...things would have gotten ugly real quick.

As said before...slow and smooth is usually a good idea...if not ride with your feet on the ground like you're skating if you're doing slow maneuvers to get to a parking spot or something...will help you balance a little better...well for me it works anyway.
  6. eggs huh..never thought of it like that and yeah i put out my feet but the boots were so waterlogged it was like there was no point in me trying to stay up haha
  7. As anyone in Melbourne knows it's been raining all freaking day today. Well it's 3PM and it's finally let off and I'm itching to get out on the bike.

I'm 3 days in, a new rider but I haven't found riding around my local area all that daunting so far.

What I'm wondering is, what tips should I keep in mind if I decide to go out this afternoon and the roads are wet? Apart from keeping speed low which I'll be doing anyway :p
  8. Look out for oil slick rainbows, tar seals, metal plating and uneven surfaces on the road, especially in corners. Corner less than half the speed you normally would. Keep bigger buffers as you do not want to e brake. Do not over accelerate.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Just take it easy, give yourself a greater stopping buffer. (even if you need to practice emergency stopping in a quiet area to build your confidence up)

watch for oil on the roads, particularly at the lights & roundabouts.

clear your visor by turning your head slightly to the left or right, when safe to do so.

If it is cold, you may have to lift your visor slightly or put a dot of dishwashing liquid on the inside of the visor, smeer it around, then wipe off with paper towel.. this helps prevent fogging up.

Remember to keep yourself visible to other road users. lights on, stay out of blind spots, hi vis if you want.

Enjoy your day, and learn to like the wet.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Also big white painted arrows, and any white paint in general on the road can be slippery.

Tram tracks can also be a problem - just be sure to cross them as close as possible to 90 degrees and with the bike as upright as you can make it.

Number 1 danger though is the inability of most car drivers to recognise the fact they need to slow down. So expect plenty to be stopping well ahead of where they intended to, and beware of bogans/tradies in V8 utes getting the back end out through corners and roundabouts.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. If you imagine you've got a glass of water balanced on the tank, how would you ride to prevent water spilling out? Accelerate and decelerate gently and smoothly. Try to keep the bike more upright (= best grip) so take corners slower than you normally would, or practice moving your weight around on the bike to keep it upright (not advisable if you're 3 days into riding imo).

And yeah, anything on the road that reflects light more than the road around it is likely to be slippery, so be very careful of: white lines, tar snakes, man holes, reflectors, oil slicks etc. Don't put your wheels on them if you can avoid it, and definitely be careful where you put your foot down when you stop at the lights. If your foot lands on a painted white line or arrow it can just keep going, which leaves you doing the splits in the middle of the road over your now fallen over motorbike.

And as dobbo said, learn to love riding in the rain. It's great, once you're used to it :)

(If you're riding *to* somewhere rather than just around the neighbourhood, pack dry jocks and a dry tee shirt in a watertight bag. Wet jocks are just no fun, and going commando in wet kevlar makes the trip home really chafe, or so I've heard!)
  12. Hah cheers guys. With the condition of the roads around here it looks like everything will be out to get me. Obviously there's a lot to look out for when riding in the wet, but is it actually very easy to lose control in the wet?
  13. YES. and don't go near tram tracks any other way than at a right angle
  14. Those cats eye markers can be slippery. Especially when your rear wheel is sitting directly on top of one when you try and accelerate "expeditiously" from a green light. :-w
  15. All of my offs, thankfully all small with no damage, have been in the wet, so yes it is easy. They were also all in my first few months of riding, and I didn't have netrider back then to ask how to ride in the rain correctly.

It isn't a death trap, but it does take some getting used to and to start very cautiously.
  16. You gotta stay smooth.

Smooth on the throttle
    Smooth on the brakes
    Smooth on the transitions
    Smooth on the corners

Don't give the tyres any reason to want to break the traction of the road.
    • Like Like x 6
  17. all of the above!!
    Consider you need to smooth!!
    Road is cold, so are your tyres [makes for slippery situations]
    Rain [didnt pour, so crap coming up from bitumen, makes for slippery conditions]
    See point 2.
    See point 2.
  18. I listen to the cars in front of me at roundabouts for any tyre spin as they move off - good indicator of oil on the wheel track. (though my bike if sooo quiet so i can hear ants walking across the road lol)
  19. I fvcking hate fish.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. took her out and rode as smoothly as possible. Noticed some slight slippage but nothing dangerous. The way I figure it is it can't hurt to try out different riding situations as early as possible. Live and learn!