Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wet weather riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by tiggers, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Hi All,

Did my first commute in the rain this morning......and was perhaps the worst ride I've had since getting the bike. Tried to be really relaxed and gentle on the brakes, didn't seem to experience any slip or slide but was so uptight I could have cracked a walnut between the butt cheeks :) and the fore arms were aching when I got off.

Any suggestions to help me feel more comfortable?

2. Do it more often
  3. Be smooth - no sudden movement thru the bars
    Minimal to nil back brake
    Loose on the bars
    Use a higher gear than usual
    Braking may require extra space so maximise any distance ahead of you for stopping
    Avoid painted lines, road markings, cats eyes, tram / rail tracks - these are very slippery
    Loose on the bars
    It's tempting to ride in the dry center of your lane - dont as thats where the oil and crap is - stay in the left or right wheel tracks even if full of water
    Loose on the bars
  4. Squeeze with the knees, should eleviate your tense arms and hands. Riding in the rain doesn't have to be a PITA. Just relax into it and buffer from the front cars more.
  5. I'm only still a riding nub but a couple of things I do (which may be wrong)

- I now know that I'm pretty much completely invisible, especially in the rain.
    - I try to give myself a lot more stopping room eg. stop like two car lengths behind a stopped car at an intersection and then once the car behind me stops, usually like only like half a meter behind my rear wheel, and then I slowly creep forward so I create my own gap behind me.
    - Last but not least remember to always have a exit strategy, even though you may be at the lights stopped twiddling your thumbs try to keep an eye out for things because they morons seem to come out of nowhere.
  6. :) loose on the bars - I got it and I'll try the higher gear think I pretty much did the rest. Thanks for the tips
  7. I'll try to do that, one thing that worries me is how much lean I should have turning.....some? none?
  8. The more you do it the more comfortable you will get. Keep an eye out for oil especially when you stop at lights etc there are normally a few pools of it there.

Also in the dry I often find that I will cross or sometimes be in the centre my lane when turning but in the wet I make sure I stick to just one wheel track.

Commuting is about getting there and getting back - don't be pressured by other road users to go any faster than you're are comfortable with.
  9. All the advice so far is pretty much on the mark.

My 2 bobs worth is:

Ride the bike. Seriously, tyres these days are fantastic. I can get my knee down in the wet now, it's crazy.

If you ride cautiously you'll feel when things are getting loose before they let go. The only way you'll fell really comfortable with wet weather riding is when you know the limits of your bike and your skill and you stay within both.

But! as you push it be mindful that you are on the road and not the track. Look for painted lines and oil and avoid them like the plague.

Above all else enjoy riding in the rain. Real riders rule over sunny day saps!
  10. If you have good wet weather gear you have won half the battle..if not more. Getting wet on a ride is not pleasant and will cause you mental distractions..as water runs down your back or pools in ya jocks.
    You cant change the elements,so don't fight them,accept them both on the physical and mental side.
    Dress for the occasion and you'll find you can relax more.Take the advice from the above posts,the only thing I can add is to try and ride in the right hand wheel track,keep a good distance back from cars, but take advantage of the area of bitumen that has just been squeegeed by their tyres.
    Have faith in your own rubber too...and try to relax as you ride.
  11. Thanks guys this really helps; I've got good wet weather gear. I guess being a noob and not much wet weather riding under my belt yet was worried loosing the front or rear and going down. The next time it rains I'm heading out in it!!
  12. Ok...I'm a bit of a nut.
    I hate the cold, and would rather ride in the wet, than a dry freezing cold day.

In fact, I actually like to ride in the wet now and then...I embrace the additional challenge.

So don't be put off by the wet...get the right gear to keep you dry, so you are'nt distracted by that aggrevation, loosen up get your game face on, and absolutely embrace the challenge. :))

You can spin the rear up and hone your control skills as the bike squirms around, and really develope the "feel" of the front brake. (forget the rear, except for slow speed control)
    Wet weather riding, is a defensive, super alert, style that requires your mind to be well ahead of the bike, and your focus must be solid as a rock to distractions.
    MASTER wet weather riding and then dry weather riding feels so unrestrained by comparison, and you'll be so much better due to your faster skill developement, that you'll love the dry weather when it comes.

I revel in the rain. :)) Because I embrace the challenges it provides.

Try to approach it from that perspective, relevant to your own level, of course, and you'll develope a honest sense of confidence, because while it can be enjoyable for the reasons above, it will also bite you on the arsk big time if you stuff up.

13. +1

I actually enjoy riding in the wet. Doesn't put me off at all. You just adjust your riding a bit and its all good.
  14. so I shouldn't worry to much about grip, whats the best advice if you do find a wheel sliding?
  15. Relax..seriously,just ride with it, dont suddenly shut off the power or sit the bike upright..try to let the bike sort it's self out..assuming that it's the back wheel that is sliding. If it's the front that is sliding around..then relax too...if you are all tense the fall that is about to arrive will hurt more..:)
  16. if the front goes i grab a handful of throttle. im not sure if its the way to go on a sportsbike but on a motard or a traillie its what you do.

if the rear goes just keep the throttle open and steer through the footpegs.
  17. Thats the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks!
  18. ](*,) ha ha yes point taken
  19. Seeing as your from Mosman I might add

If you've a noob the metal grate when wet is the scariest thing you will ever ride over. Have a look in the dangerous section of road forum.
  20. Thanks Smilee, I've been across the spit bridge a few times since getting the bike but never in the wet, I'll keep that in mind.