Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wet slippery roads

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by ametha elf, May 25, 2010.

1. Just how slippery are wet twisty mountain roads? For some reason, even though I am very confident on dry roads, as soon as the roads are wet, my confidence levels drop dramatically. I had a bad sliding incident coming down a mountain in the pouring rain last year, ever since then, its stuck in my head that wet mountain roads are dangerous. I'm speaking of Mt Glorious here in particular, and Mt Mee as well. Have noticed that when we ride through there in the rain, theres hardly any other bikes on the road (except us) whereas normally Mt Glorious is full of bikes esp on a fine Sunday. I've got good brakes, good tyres, have done a Stay Upright 1 course, everythings great, and I know I need to ride steady with no sudden braking or changes of gear, but still cant get this sliding loss of control fear out of my head.

2. How slippery the road is depends on heaps of things. After a few days have hard rain a lot of the oil and crap gets washed aways and it's not to bad when a little damp. A light amount of rain can be just enough to bring the oil to the surface and make it slippery as hell.
    Then of course you have to take in to account how good your tyres are in the wet.
    Also leafs and really bad, esp when they are in patches of shadow and stay wet for days the sap and breaking down of the leaf is really bad.

Most important thing to do in the wet esp around corners is be smooth with the throttle suddenly cutting it off with cause a lot of issues, it's safer to just slowly roll the throttle on then cut it off suddenly.
  3. What he said. Heaps of rain over a few days and things are generally not too bad. Just enough rain to make the road properly wet and things get hairy.

I can personally testify that Bells Line of Road down here in Syd gets really dodgy. Won't be doing that again in the wet any time soon.
  4. I think a bit of paranoia in the wet is healthy. Ride smooth, and respect it.
  5. The fear you have is OK and is justified. It will keep you alert and riding carefully which is what you need in the wet.
  6. The type of road is most important.
    Mountain roads can be goos as there are course stones for added grip.

Avoid sheltered areas with lots of foliage on the road or nearby.
    We had a bit of dampness on the Tassie tour and it was fine. Did wonders for my confidence.

I always respect any well used areas as there is usually lots of oil and crud about.

7. after heavy rain grip level normally pretty good, after light rain it's like riding on gravel imo but it's still a constant survey of the road surface and surrounding landscape.....roads with lots of trees over them tend to drop rubbish which is mashed into the road surface (during winter these roads have green moss lines so it's ideal to ride in the wheel tracks and not cut across the lane to hit the apex so add water and these bits are super slippery) so where one corner you can ride through it at near normal speed the net might require extra care.....take each corner on it's own merits just like dry conditions
  8. its good to be aware that the road surface has a bit less grip in the wet, but I dont think its a good idea to let it bother you too much.

if your starting out its good to be careful, but the only way you are going to increas your confidence is to ride in the wet more often.

biggest tip, try not to get tense, the tighter your shoulders and arms are, the more difficult it is to turn the bike.

9. Having said that Adam, do you remember last years GOR ride with Big Cam (slowcoach)? I kid you not, we were hammering along these roads down and through forests with this greeny mossy tinge along most of the roads. I think Brownyy was on his ZZR? with a bald rear tyre?

Thats was a awesome ride!
  10. if i remember correctly yep i was on the ride too, and cam still brings up that ride after a few drinks....like i said you need to decide on the day and judge every corner, yep completely agree though that road does offer up insane amounts of grip considering the green line it has, but last weekend i found it does have a limit in the wet, and i tippy toed on that line :-$ but as a general rule i found more roads with that green line to be slippery then not
  11. I was wondering the same thing, but not just mountainous roads. I'd like to go around corners in the dry to see how fast I can go, then do the exact same in the wet, just to see how much grip a motorbike really has.

The problem is, I don't want to drop my bike, and no one will lend me theirs for the experiment.
  12. road should be ok but be very careful of tar snakes, slippery as hell

13. G'day all,

I was thinking of asking about wet weather myself until i found this thread.

Just learning at the moment, but have taken my bike out the last couple of evenings after some rain, just to see what it was like. Scared the hell out of me. It wasn't so much that anything happened, but I couldn't help but "think" that something was going to happen. The road "looked" terrible - slippery as hell - and I guess that was then planted in my mind. Every street I turned into had me wondering if the wheels were going to hold.

With that in mind, i was planning on asking.....just how concerned should I be when riding wet roads ? I see other guys on bikes riding in attrocious weather - and they seem to do it OK. Do bikes generally grip wet road easily enough, and it's just slippery patches you need to watch, or can any nike simply lose grip ?

Any advice is really appreciated.

14. being curious about dry vs wet grip, I found this.

Basically, it says just after it rains your grip will be half of your dry grip. After the goop (thats a technical word, I'm sure) washes away the grip lifts to three quarters of dry grip.

Obviously there are some factors to take into account, some of which are listed on that page.
  15. I f*cking hate tar snakes!!
  16. what sort of tires are you running in the wet ametha?

and the other thing that matters is having your suspension well sorted.

i don't mind the wet if it's wet everyday, like it has been for the last couple of weeks here... but i still get nervy if it's the first wet day after a long dry spell.
  17. Monkeyman, I've got a Metzeler Marathon on the front, (plenty of good tread left) and Bridgestone Exedra G702 on the back (these were only put on new last week). Suspension seems fine.

18. Kind of makes a mockery about all this safety shit with speed kills etc when they are allowed to do that to roads. Everyone knows those kind of repairs are dangerous to bikes. They are as slippery as hell in the wet especially around corners.
    I suppose safety is important to goverments and councils but the all mighty $$ still comes first.

As for riding in the wet just slow it down and be extra carful. Coming home last night I was coming to a T intersection about 100m from home when I locked the front wheel up in the wet. I didn't think I was braking that hard but obviously in the wet things are different. The bike started to lean luckily I was going slow enough that I was able to keep it upright. It was an eye opener on how quickly things can go pear shape so be careful when it's raining especially when it rains after longish periods of dry weather.
  19. DITTO! I know money can be a factor, but bejebus! They are SO dangerous!!!! ](*,)](*,)[-(
  20. While I am also very cautious in the wet, I feel one thing worth mentioning is tyre temperature.

If you have tyres that handle the wet well, if you can keep the temperature in the tyres up a bit then your grip will generally be better. There are always exceptions to this of course. 8-[