Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wet Slip Clutch?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Mad_Maca27, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Ok guys and girls,

I have a wet slip clutch in my VJF250, and i have noticed that at the appropriate revs etc i can simply knock the gears up without pulling the clutch in.... Is that the purpose of it???

i mean 98% of the time i still pull the clutch to shift anyway, and frankly i considered putting this in the stupid questions thread. however it was just a curiousity i wanted to put out here. Clutch is still required to downshift.

i mean pulling the clutch in is usually smoother unless your dead on the revs but yeah, any replies welcome.

(Yes i have had the bike since april and have noticed this before now, just finally thought to ask)
  2. Slipper clutch helps prevent lockup of the back wheel when downshifting too quickly.

Wet clutch is simply a way of increasing the lifespan of an otherwise very small clutch pack.
  3. Just because the clutch runs in oil does not make it a "slipper clutch". That's a different animal entirely and not something installed in regular bikes.
    It's normal to be able to UP shift without the clutch in a constant mesh gearbox, which is what's found in bikes these days. It's also normal to need the clutch to smoothly down shift as it's much harder to match revs when going down gears.
  4. Yeah its not fitted with a slipper as it locks up/chatters under load if downshifted to early.... i suppose my main concern is shifting without the clutch more likly to damage the box, or is it designed to slip up like that? (hence why i cant downshift in the same order as to prevent lockups and just generally crunching the box...)
  5. It's just an accident of the technology that you can upshift without the clutch, IF you can manage the throttle that is. Some do it that way normally as once learned it gives faster up shifts and less clutch wear, but you still need the clutch to go down gears.
  6. No you don't.......
    • Agree Agree x 2
  7. Yeah I took the chance to review my technique about 12 months ago and I was suprised how much I downshift without useing the clutch.

Mind, that's over 20 years of riding and a very businesslike Triumph clutch.
  8. I really wouldn't advise it in a small gearbox, especially for a new rider.
  9. Advising against it for a learner is different to 'need a clutch to go down gears'. I said it else where, but I think it's a good skill to learn. It can mean the difference between riding the bike home and getting the bike towed home if your clutch cable or lever break.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Granted.

I've had to do that, too. Tore the end off a clutch cable with 50Km to get home through the Blue Mountains. That bike did NOT like to downshift with no clutch.
  11. Can upshift and downshift without clutch. Although I advise you learn and study your bike as you ride along. Where the best shift points are for smooth operation (with clutch) and then work your way around clutchless shifting once you figured it out. Don't just go about banging gears and hope they'd mesh up, that just asks for gearbox rebuild.
  12. I've found the Bandit, SV650 and my wife's old monster didn't mind, providing you had the revs right, and coordinated the throttle/lever action properly.
  13. The bike I was referring to was an old Z550G1 Kwakka. It had a bit of a clunky shift a the best of times regardless of what oil I used. I've tried the clutchless downshift a few times and just find it harsh and jerky on the drive train, upshifts not nearly so much. I suppose it could just be I'm not getting the shift point right, but it's a snap to the chain I'd rather avoid if possible.
  14. I had to try it on my old GN250 (broke the clutch lever), it wasn't a pleasant experience - traffic lights were particularly interesting.
  15. That's what I discovered as well. The set at Blackheath were most ... awkward.
  16. Yep, trying to finesse the revs with the drop in to gear resulted in either me stalling the bike or pulling an uncomfortable wheelie. Until I figured out going in to 2nd from stand still was more controllable than mashing it in to 1st.
  17. Really all you need to know about clutchless downshifting, if it is to get you home after a clutch component has failed, it that it is possible.

I would say that getting the bike from zero to more than zero without a clutch is going to find people out moreso than getting down through the gears once you are going.
  18. I couldn't, no way no how, find neutral without the clutch so I had to kill the engine and start in first. I got away with it by pointing downhill at the lights but it could have gone very badly as well.
  19. Yeah I wonder how many ended up under their bike the first time they tried...