Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wet riding

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by yohcaptain, Jul 6, 2006.

1. i have a question :?: i had my first ride in the rain wasnt to bad at 3 in the morning :) i know to keep upright most of the time and lookin out for painted lines , metal drain lids , train and tram tracks due to the slippery surface..back to the question :wink: which section of the lane should i ride..i know the middle of the lane has oil but less water puddles..but both left track and right track of a lane has more puddles :roll: should i stay in the tracks and not worry about puddles :?: please help me become a better rider :cool:

2. Ride whereever you feel comfortable. Avoiding puddles will keep your feet dryer, and you will be more comfortable as a result.

If you're just cruising through an intersection at a steady speed in a straight line then painted lines, tracks or other slippery bits of road shouldn't cause you any concern.

Areas of road which have oil/paint/metal will only cause you grief if you're braking, accelerating or cornering, so avoid them at those times... plan further ahead than you would normally. Don't put yourself in a position where you might need to brake on a painted line.
  3. yeah just be confident in your own riding abilities and do what you think would be most safe in any situation involving rain...
  4. I don't think there is a simple answer to that question; it requires a judgement call depending on situation... One thing I woud say, *do* worry about the puddles if you can't see what's on the bottom, they could cover anything up to and including an open manhole. Overall I think I'd rather take my chances with the surface I can see.
  5. As a noob to riding, this is something that worries me as well. I've been caught out in the rain, but until I'm a better rider, am avoiding it like the plague. My two greatest concerns (apart from the crappy roads) are: (1) not knowing how far to lean the bike over through normal turns and curves, and (2) not knowing if painted markings are a danger, especially if they're on a corner. Pedestrian crossings particularly worry me, as they're often sitting proud of the road after a million coats of paint. Any advice would be welcomed.
  6. If the bike has good tyres then riding at the speed limit shouldn't really be effected at all. The only things that I slow up for is debris, for example wet leaves. Hit them at speed and it's like hitting clay on a dirt bike. You just can't tell where the bike will go.
  7. Generally speaking, oil on the surface down the center line really only becomes a problem (usually) when braking or on the gas. Just cruising, or at constant speed I try to ride the dryest line, wherever that may be.
    No use driving in the puddles that collect in the grooves if the centerline is dryer, but still you have to bear in mind that there may be oil there.

Like everyone else has said...it's a judgement call dependent on the road conditions, and your judgement will get better with experience.

8. I follow some pretty basic philosophies.
    1. Use enhanced common sense (ie risk manage to err well on the precautionary side).
    2. If it looks slippery it probably is and if I dont feel confident/comfortable dont do it.
    3. Practice makes perfect.

Some examples: On city roads you get a build up of oil in the middle of the lane. This often means its the first to dry out after heavy rain and so I will use that in preference to something wet and full of puddles (can hide a multitude of sins). However if its been dry and only a sprinkling of rain the loose oil wont have been washed off so will be more slippery than the wet (but scrubbed by car tyres) wheel tracks on either side.
    If you have a peaky or grunty power delivery shift up a gear early (short change) and get into the habit of picking lines minimising painted lines, suface irregularities, repairs etc (wet or dry).

I ride all year around and while apprehensive at first like yourself now ride all year around , rain, hail or shine.
    While riding in the wet is something to take extra care on common sense will make it almost as safe as the dry. Just get out and do it.
  9. All that has been said is right - particularly ride at pace that you feel comfortable - don't push it you will get the hang - big thing is try to do everything smooth.
  10. this is definatly an issue i have thought about a numerous amount of times.

So far i have only had one lesson, but the fact remains that riding in the rain will be alot more diffucult for anyone of any size bike of any age.

does anyone have a good indea of what a decent pair of tyres are that will allow for better water flow or whatever through the cuts in the tyre?

i know that by increasing the tyres pressure by a couple will help a little, but anyother good pointers but also a decent set of tyres aswell..

anyhelp would be great
  11. Most of the high quality modern tyres, run very well in the wet AND dry.
    Even so...some are still better than others, but it can vary from one bike to another, since some tyres seem to suit certain bikes better than others.

I have gone through 3 different sets of tyres on the same bike...all 3 sets were very good for rear end grip, but I was'nt happy with the front grip on the first two sets. The latest set (Pirelli Diablo Strada) are very good wet or dry, under braking or power, for both front AND rear wheels.
    But that is on the FJR....on another bike they may not be quite so good. (although still not too bad).

Remember to, that modern tyres tend to come in sets...ie..the tread on the front and rear tyres may be slightly different in order to compliment each other. In the case of the Stradas, the front tyre tread pattern is supposed to clear a path in the wet for the rear tyre to improve rear end grip.

Ask the guys around here that are riding the same bike as yours for their impressions and go from there.

12. mate i pussy foot when riding in the rain.
    Just got to keep a safe distance from the cars in front and try keep dry - nothing worse than riding around in the rain and wet