Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Wet Night Road Lines

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by RobE, Sep 19, 2008.

1. What can riders do to get the road authorities to act on the problems of road markings on wet nights?

Painted lane markers, directional arrows, hatchings, etc are always a slip risk to riders.

This is even worse on wet nights when the lights shine on all the markers that have been painted over; like during major road work when familiar conditions are all changed.

Not only is everything even more slippery and we are dealing with riding in the wet plus being crowded by cars because we are slowing down as well as our visors getting obscured but;

It is hard to distinguish which is the correct lane because the shiny painted over lines show up looking just like white lines.

The fix must involve a matt finish, with something like sand mixed in it for traction, painted over in big smudges that do not look like lines.
  2. They should have a crushed glass type resin coated on top of the arrows lines, etc`s.

Not sure if it wears off eventually.......
  3. i think the day when road authrities/councils take bikers concerns into consideration that much is a long long way off.. from their point of view, and to be honest quite rightly so, we bikers are an extreme minority of road users, therefore we must adapt to the conditions that we are confronted with. I mean nobody forces us to ride a bike, it is something we choose to do becuase we have a passion for it, and we also choose to tackle all conditions fully aware they may not be 100% to our liking.

I guess from their point of view, and i personally adhere to this myself, is if conditions deteriorate and saftey becomes a concern, slow down, or even stop or not ride at all.

RobE - Not saying i disagree with you in the least, quite the opposite infact, just think that day is long way off is all.
  4. That ain't such a bad idea ..
  5. Quite rightly so my a*se. :roll: We pay to use the roads (meaning registration) the same as cars do and therefore should expect the same rights and conditions given to cars/trucks. Bicycles don't pay any form of road tax yet are bowed and scraped to on a regular basis and have special considerations made for them (such as separate bicycle lanes, boxes at the front of traffic lights etc). Yes, at this stage we have to adapt, but "quite rightly so.." - Bullshit! :evil:

And nobody forces people to drive cars, but they do and expect no less than the best road conditions. We should too. Last time I checked I paid my taxes.
  6. From what I understand, the non-slippy stuff is more expensive. Either way, even if they are somehow convinced to change the paint they use, it's not going to come into effect overnight. I suggest you learn how to deal with slippery white lines. Ie. avoid them or keep throttle and brake inputs to a minimum when you're riding over one in the wet.
  7. Tiny glass beads are sprinkled/added/placed as part of the line marking process. There is a specification that these beads have to reach in terms of reflectivity and abrasion resistance.

Painting black lines over the white ones is terrible IMO and can be very confusing at night when it is raining. More often than not with temporary roadworks, a profiler is used to grind away the lines and this can have a similar effect to painting black lines at night when it is wet.

Thermoplastic is typically used at intersections where painted lines wear off relatively quickly. For example, if painted lines wear off in around 1 year at a busy intersection it is expected that thermoplastic will last at least twice as long as that so will more likely be used. Thermoplastic is very slippery in the wet but the maintenance person is more interested in keeping lane markings clear for as long as possible; not whether it is slippery for bike riders. The cost and frequency of lane closures to do the line marking governs what is used.

8. Painted road surfaces should have a minimum Skid resistance by Australian Standard, can't remember the standard at the moment it is probably part of AS4049. This is a measure of resistance to skid when wet and is measured in the quaintly named British Pendulum Number (BPN).

I think this number should NOT be lower than 45 BPN. This method of testing is not ideal as it tends to not give a feeling for skid resistance at higher speed. The test is done with a wet road.

If you feel the area is slippery and dangerous then report it to your relevant road authority. If they get enough reports they are obliged to run friction tests on the surface.

Motorcycle riders are paying road users too and deserve to be considered as part of road policy and standards. I agree that in general we are ignored as a minority. The trick is to be a vocal minority. :)
  9. I think the excuse they would use too is to ride to the conditions... if you came off clearly you were not... or at least some bullshit like that.
  10. +1 Report it (VicRoads have a hot line 13 11 70 )
  11. Too difficult to find this in the archives so I'll repost it.
    It comes from a couple of years ago...

(The guy concerned is no longer with VicRoads :wink: )

There's still a lot of his work out there though!
  12. I agree with Dougz's points, tone, and language.
  13. +1 Dougz...

I think someone else should be pulling his head in - instead of pulling something else :evil:
  14. They should endeavor to make the road safer for ALL users regardless

Pedestrians, cyclist, drivers, riders, dogs, cats, etc!
  15. Wow :shock:
    It's like they have an 'us and them' mentality.
  16. Well if anybody thinks for a minute that becuase you pay your taxes and becuase you rego your bike that everything will become equal your wrong...
    Its funny how when it rains enough the lines can be hard to distinguish in a car aswell, and white lines and oil can cause cars to spin... ??? Why dont we just rip up all the roads and start again...sorry aint gunna happen
  17. Being fair to VicRoads the attitude has improved immeasurably. Witness the fact that the well known Chairman from this very forum is now Program Consultant - Motorcycle Safety at VicRoads... :shock:

The anti brigade no longer have the same level of influence and I think we'll get some real announcements by the end of the year.
  18. Hope so mate, hope so. but they've got a long way to go just to get back to where they were IMO. It's my impression that the general standard of the condition of our roads and their upkeep, has tapered off strongly over the past decade.
    As they've focused more on increasing the infostructure and major roadworks, the by-roads have been neglected.

As a side note i heard an interesting story the other day. I was speaking with a truck driver who has mates in the TOG, they told him they have been instructed to blitz trucks found using the roads surrounding the tollways, in an effort to drive them onto the tolls.
    Sounds far fetched, but then again.
  19. Thanks Tony. The guy rides a Hyosung, what can I say :LOL:
  20. I got the surprise of my life the other day when I was riding through some back streets near Bonython (Tuggeranong ACT) and saw a sign that said 'Motorcyclists - beware - uneven surface'.

I almost stacked it doing a 'double take' to see if it actually said what it thought I said :LOL: