Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Western NSW touring

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by duckula, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hello Everyone,

I need to get from Lismore NSW to Bathurst in a few weeks on my (SV650) and am looking for suggestions on route, I have time and it doesn't need to go straight there I was thinking:

Lismore -> tenterfield -> moree -> coonabarbran -> dubbo -> orange -> bathurst

Any suggestions never been out further than tenterfield before so won't have a clue :grin: , anything I should stop and see along the way?

Thanks heaps....duckula.

----------
    2005 SV650n

2. Half of Waterfall Way, Thunderbolts, deserted backroad from Dungog to Gresford, Putty Road and Bells Line of Road :cool:

The fun way

3. Mmm. I can vouch for much of Toecutter's proposed route, having travelled most of those roads just a month and a half ago. :)

(Just make sure you don't do Thunderbolts Way/Bucketts Way after the sun goes down! :LOL: )

4. Thanks Toecutter and spots sounds like a plan....took a look on that google maps plan and it looks...um rather fun :grin: . So the roos make Thunderbolts Way/Bucketts Way a no no after dark?

5. I mostly saw wombats, actually! :LOL:

Wildlife aside, if you're heading South along Thunderbolts Way then the twistiest part is all downhill, and the road surface can be a little patchy to boot - a few potholes here and there, a little bit of gravel.

So that's... Wildlife; Bad visiblity due to total lack of light at night; Downhill twisties; and the odd bit of patchy road quality for flavour. Not the most enjoyable. :) I'm sure it's MUCH easier during the day.

If you're in the mood for some extreme verbosity, I wrote about my trip from Brisbane to Wollongong along many of those roads. I did a bit of Summerland Way (took a 'detour' via Clarence Way, so ignore that part), Waterfall Way and Thunderbolts/etc.

There's a Google Maps link in the title of each section to show the road I'm talking about for each bit. :)