Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

QLD Western "Freeway" lower speed limit

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by mendosi, Sep 9, 2012.

1. Just an FYI here, it looks like the police are very serious about enforcing the new 60 limit on the Western "Freeway". I saw them this morning pulling people over.

They were hiding behind the concrete barriers right at the end of the freeway.

I'm sure they will really rake in the dough with this one since 60 is just completely unreasonable and any time I have driven there no driver has obeyed that limit.

So for the moment probably best to bend over and accept the limit or you'll need to bend over for something much worse.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. I've not actually been on that road yet (only as far as the Mount Coo-tha turnoff). Having looked at it on Google though I agree that 60kph seems absolutely ridiculous, especially given the number of single-width dirt roads you can legally do 100kph on.

Anyone know what the supposed logic behind the new limit is (other than making it easier to generate revenue)?
  3. Road works and entering trucks
  4. Ahh, I see. So it's only a temporary thing then?

I actually don't mind having to slow for road works, I've heard the stories of what road crews have to put up with. People who speed through them annoy me, as I'm pretty sure they're the reason why the roadworks limits seem to be starting further and further away from the actual work.
  5. Except that before Thursday there were still roadworks and trucks but it was 80.

Anyway, whether there is a good reason or not doesn't bother the cops. They don't need a reason, just an excuse.
  6. Temporary my hat, roadworks there are in preparation for the merging lanes for the "Northern Link" Toowong to Kelvin Grove bypass. It's been at 25% completion for over the last year, according to the signs.

Speaking of signs, there's plenty of "Speed limit enforced" signs that have gone up on that stretch of road since the new concrete blocks have been dropped there. The lanes are thinner now, too.

Looks like another solid reason to go the long way over Cootha instead ;)