Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

West Australia - How to do 50 supervised hours?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Kyran B, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Hey, so this is my first post :p but, I just turned 16 and wanting to get a motorbike, so according to Western Australia department of transport i have to get 25 hours before my test and 25 hours after, all of that being supervised. Am i supposed to pay some instructor $50 to $75 an hour just to follow me around for 50 hours!!!, thats $2,500 i have to pay like WTF?. My friend has his dad who owns a motorbike so he can just get his dad to help him, but for people who know no one??? surely you guys did not pay that much for some one to follow you around? Im a really fast learner and think i would only need about 5-10 hours? all help would be highly appreciated :) $2500 D:

2. The supervised hours thing is a restriction I agree. As far as I know it is only WA and QLD that do it that way. It does disadvantage those without friends or family that ride and those in more rural areas. WA is worse than QLD because the supervising rider has to be a registered instructor. It sucks but that's the way it is.

I would expect that riding schools will start to offer rides with groups where one instructor can go out with a group. That should lower the price. You will just have to do a ring around and see if you can find a good price for your 25 hours. Note if you have a car license you can bypass the supervised riding stage but that doesn't help you I know.

Learn to ride a LAMS motorcycle (R-E)

3. Damn.....that sucks. Doesn't seem right really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Christ! 20 odd years later I'm still learning.

But yes it sucks as a rule. It's a very car drivers view of motorcycling. As mentioned by cjvfr, look for riding schools that take groups out for day trips. If you try to do it 1 hour at a time you'll be a full year getting it done. Probably more in reality.

check to see if there are any netriders in WA who go on regular rides. Maybe you can initiate some. A few half day rides will get you on top of the total fairly quickly.

5. Trouble is mate, in WA they have to be an accredited riding instructor, it is worse than the QLD system in that regards. Seems to either want to force you to get a car license first or pay up big to the riding schools.

6. that really sucks arse. You should be required to get you bike license first.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Despite it being expensive (I am surprised there are no packages at a better rate) it is for your own good. I will stir the waters up with others here, but I think everyone in every state at that age should do a mandatory 25 hours at least. I do agree although that 50 hours is a bit excessive. I know how crazy or "brave" I was at that age and I lost a few mates way back then because they were not as lucky as I was. At age 16 you "think" you know everything and you think that crazy stunts are "cool" (which are) but not on public roads. It is not just about you killing yourself but potentially you killing someone else. So there is nothing wrong with the state wanting to make sure that you have enough knowledge and maturity when you hit the road on your own.

8. The MOST system used on other states demonstrates there are other, more positve ways to do it.

9. I agree in principle with what you say StillSpeedyStillSpeedy but I am concerned that the state has an ingrained anti motorcycle bias and so their method of restricting entry to motorcycling is to make it more expensive, All whist beating their breast with cries of will no one think of our children. There is no doubt that the Learner period is the most dangerous for young riders and that some training will help them. In effect though, the WA legislation is Catch 22, you can have a learners at 16 but you can't afford to have a learners at 16.

The European system is expensive but doesn't seem to discriminate, there is two levels of LAMS graduation which you can access at different ages, 16 for the first stage, 18 for the next stage etc. We need to try and have systems that encourage motorcycling but not at the cost of pricing it out of young riders range Kyran as an example may be a 16 y/o tear away or he may have sufficient maturity of mind to develop his skills gradually, the state has to try and allow for both cases. I am not a fan of the supervised riding system, there is no evidence that per licence QLD or WA has any lower a accident an injury rate amongst new riders than Victoria which doesn't have a supervised riding system.

10. That's the stupidest friggin thing I have ever heard. Paying someone to supervise u. Way to cost new riders a blooming fortune. Gees there are some idiots in power in this country

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. The expectation is definitely that you get your hours up in a car. I got my car L's and then my licence in Victoria, but my bike licence in WA. No hours needed, as I already had the car licence. I just had to show competence on the bike.

Others have suggested clubs. That would be my suggestion too. Ask the local Ulysses chapter if they can supervise you on one of their runs. They love a young guy around to pick up a bike if it falls over...

12. I did say that I am surprised that there are no incentives and also 50 hours is a bit too much, 25 is enough from an instructor (that is about what Europe has - or used to require).

Yes, there are 2 levels in Europe, at 16 you get to ride a small CC bike (125 or 250 max - I do not remember correctly), in some state you get to ride a 50 CC bike, that is it. And after riding for a year or 2 on that you can apply and take a course for a LARGE BIKE, which again means that you need to take theory test and a get clocked some more lessons with an instructor. Again, probably a lot has changed in the laws since I have stopped following what happening in EU.

Whatever laws we decide to accept - it should be rolled out on a federal level. Seriously, all this nonsense - states passing different licensing laws separately should really stop. Australia is a federation but states behave like a bunch of kids (mine is better- mentality). Europe, with different nationalities, languages, cultures can roll out uniform legislation, So has the USA through FTA.

Another example is ACT - you can ride a Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan on a learners license for instance, because the power to wight ratio is within certain specs. Now, that is a bloody heavy bike for any learner to ride.

Not certain, but I think some countries allow scooters, mopeds and bikes be ridden without license at age 16, as long as it has a 50 cc motor in it. However mostly on country or city roads. No highway on those. Would that be some sort of a solution? You can still do 60-80 Kph on a small cc bike like that, that should be plenty for any youngster to get into riding a motor bike..

13. Ok guys, I retract what I said above, WA doesn't make the information clear but I have found on here that a Approved Supervisor is a bit broader than I first thought

authsupervisor.

so that opens it to clubs to help in this area. So thats a bit more positive for Kyran BKyran B So it is similar to the QLD system then.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. So.....they can accompany you as a pillion? Hmm......

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Who in their right mind would want to get on the back of a bike with a first time rider? :nailbiting:

What a seriously dumb rule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. 50 hours sounds steep. That is a lot of riding for a beginner.

How does one teach you if you are on the bike alone and they are following? Are you meant to pony up for a comms system as well to get instructions?

I wonder if you did 5 weekend training courses (like a HART 8 hour riding thing) if that would count?

17. Qld has a dual system whereby a rider can get a learners and be accompanied until tested or attend Q-Ride (if living within 100Ks of a provider) or do -Ride and be licensed immediately and not require someone to accompany.

The WA system seems reasonable in that the accompanying rider must have some experience. Not sure that is a bad thing.
    The NSW system of learner training is far better although needs extending to areas beyond major metropolitan centres.

18. OK - let's step back a little on this one.

16 years of age - and this guy requires 50hrs supervised before he can go solo, OR he can put that cash towards flying lessons and be flying a much larger vehicle (a plane) loaded with flamable liquid (avgas) solo over your house, schools and pet shops (won't someone think of the kittens!!!!) within 1/5th of the same time period.

Now before freaking out wanting to stop all flying schools - aviation has been like that since - well, as far as I know - it's always been like that - and it hasn't been a problem. I can't help wondering why there is a bias / discrimination towards motorcycle riders with that rule. I'm happy to see the data or conclusions as to how they came across that reasoning - that could help - but without it - it certainly seems like discrimination from my perspective.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Look 25 hrs on the restriction above (experienced rider accompanying only) means 6-8 of 3-4 hour group rides. That's all. Get out with a group and smell the roses, enjoy the rides, and tick off the hours as well. Yes 50 hrs seems a lot, but try see it as 12-16 of these rides! You'll have fun and hopefully learn a lot. If you manage a ride per weekend only, you'll be done in 3-4 months, and it won't cost you anything in fees...

Not just this riding gig that costs though mate, plenty of career options, as an e.g, cost a fortune to get into - to specialize as a psychologist you have to pay a "supervising" psych for 80 hrs (2 yrs of 40 hrs each) to get the qualification. And that ain't cheap!! Around $150 + per hour.

20. Wow thanks for all the responses! Im fine with doing hours and i can understand that, i just found it unreasonable paying an instructor $2500 lol, but yeah ill try find a group ride kind of thing hopefully :), thanks for the help!

• Like Like x 1