Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Went down at P.I.

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by robbied, Dec 23, 2007.

1. Hey guys,

I went down to the Island this friday with high hopes after working hard to get the bike and trailer in top form. First session went well, confidence was growing as it does when you start to get in a comfortable rythm. Second session I was working on improving my right hand corners which I had not been confident with. Got some nice lean and knee-down going and started throwing her around a bit more aggresively. Towards the end of the session I was going well, going into turn 10 (a.k.a. the downhill hairpin).

I leaned the bike over and got the knee down. Next thing I know the right footpeg digs into the track and pivots the rear tyre off the tarmac which then sends the bike and me sliding and spinning down the track and into the grass.

I got up and checked everything was where it should be. The bike was pretty buggered but I lifted it up and rode it back to pit lane on the grass without a right footpeg. I am pretty sad about my poor bike which has seen me through some near death experiences but I dropped it off at the shop on the way home so it should be back in the next couple of months.

I also have to take my suit to a good leather repairer, recommendations would be appreciated.

It has been a learning experience though. I know I was being over-confident and lazy in that I didn't hang off the bike enough which resulted in the lack of clearance. Some riser plates or adjustable rearsets should help too.

I'll be back.

2. Sorry to hear you crashed.
    Why do racers have fixed foot pegs then and not the folding type like on road bikes?
    Michael can work at his own pace and in his own time but you have few other places to turn to and I think he knows that. He's fixed the fly on my leather pants and resold and re-zipped both my boots, all good work.
  3. Mine are the folding type but because my feet were pressing on my pegs and perhaps the angle at which they hit made them not fold up.

Thanks for the recommendation for the leather repairs :)
  4. That's bad news Robbied. But good you're OK, bikes can be fixed or replaced.

I have a track bike in the for sale forum! :wink:
  5. Sorry to hear about the bike mate ...
    But Glad you're still in one piece, bikes repair much better than us mere mortals.
    I admire you determination to improve your skills. :applause:

Cheers Robbie!
  6. Sorry to hear about your off. It happens to the best of us. You were perhaps lucky in that it's the slowest section of the track. It's also where I've seen the most people come down.

Please tell me that you had removed the peg feelers before going to the track?

CamKawa, the fixed pegs are rearsets and are set further back and higher up on the bike. If they touch down, you've already run out of rubber on the tyre and the bike is already sliding down the road before they start to scrape.

Almost all bikes, as stock, have peg feelers that are way too long for track use. First thing you should always do is to remove the feelers before hitting the track.
  7. Hey FLUX ...
    Peg feelers are those little pins that are fitted under the peg correct??

Please DONT :LOL: :LOL: .. BUT What is their purpose??
  8. Thanks for all your well wishes for me and the bike

FLUX: Unfortunately this is the first i've heard of removing the peg feelers, I guess one side is removed now :)

I don't think the bike will take longer than 1-2 months to repair and this is a good excuse for DB screen, new paint etc.. :angel:
  9. Correct. Their purpose? I honestly have no idea. Everytime mine have touched down they've almost caused an accident. As near as I can tell - that is their purpose. To cause people to crash.

Apparently they're meant to act as a warning sign that the bike is leaning over too far and that you're running out of rubber. In practise, they tend to dig in and push the bike off line and/or lift the rear wheel and cause an accident. The rider generally knows when they're over a fair way. Generally they're doing this as an emergency response (entered a corner a touch quick) or when going fast at the track. The "feelers" will upset the bike's handling way worse than merely allowing the rider to lean further unhindered.

Some riders take pleasure in slowly griding them down, 'cos they known when they'll touch down, expect it, and lean the bike far enough through corners to grind the pegs off. That's fine if you expect it. For the average rider, the first they know about the peg feelers is when they're digging in, pushing the bike wide and lifting the rear wheel off the road.

IMO, they are one of the most obnoxiously dangerous and stupid devices to ever be fitted to sports bikes.
  10. Thanks Stew !
    I am certain it will be quite a while before I ever experience my feelers scraping the tarmac. ( that didn't sound quite right :LOL: )
    I might remove them anyway.
  11. I think it was my fault mostly though, I was leaning much lower in Siberia but I was off the bike much more thus giving me more clearance which was fine. I know when I crashed I was on top of the bike too much so I had very little clearance, but stupidly I leaned with an angle I would use if I was hanging off.

Previously I have felt the pegs hit and the back wheel slightly start pivoting but that was in Siberia where there was a lot more space to get a bit more upright and correct it by hanging off more.
  12. Just make sure you are hanging off the bike when you lean, if I had properly setup for the corner and was hanging off I wouldn't have crashed. Its amazing how much more clearance you can gain.
  13. What bike do you ride Robbie? I'm guessing it's a Honda or a Yamaha? I only say that 'cos Honda have some of the longest feelers around, closely followed by Yamaha.
  14. Yep its a Honda CBR900
  15. What a shit mate. Hope it doesn't end up costing too much! I'll have to keep your misfortune in mind when I head down on the 18th of Jan.
  16. Hope you remember my bingle when you are preparing for some hardcore lean angle
  17. That sucks, hope u get back on quick and easy.

I LOVE peg feelers, gives a great warning when out on corners.
    It says "Lean off more, fool, you're about to drag your hard parts"

Honda seem to have very long feeler knobs, mainly due to their
    huge mufflers. You will find that this is designed to warn
    you BEFORE you touch down the exhaust or something else hard
    and unforgiving eg sidestand. And you SHOULD expect
    your pegs to touch down if you corner that hard... if you
    go in so hot that you fold the pegs back against your feet
    chances are that it's not the feelers lifting the back tyre,
    it's the muffler.

Racers have non-folding pegs fitted because their pegs don't touch under
    normal cornering, because they need solid support under those high-
    stress circumstances, and because their knee sliders are the guide to
    how far they are leaning over. It also helps protect the bike some in
    a small fall, so they can get up and keep racing without broken
    brake/gear levers.
  18. I didn't expect it to grab like that and spin the bike round so violently. I leaned the bike over and my knee was down, I think I must have tightened my line thus leaned over more halfway through the corner and at that point the peg grabbed the track and spun the back around.
  19. robbied [​IMG]

Whats the damage bud?

The ZX10 you saw was mine [​IMG]
  20. Sorry - that's an invalid generalisation.

CBR600RR's, CBR1000RR's and CB900F Hornet's all have an under the tail exhaust, and the feelers are crazy long. I've witnessed riders on all of said bikes nearly crash 'cos the feelers have dug in, and believe me, there was about 10-15 degrees more lean left before anything else would've touched down.