Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Well, what do you know.... you can get exhausts for anything

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Stormtrooper, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Not sure if anyone else out there has found this, and I'm sure alot of people are asking 'Why would you bother??', but found this....

Anyone have any ideas how you'd go fitting it?

Thought it looked pretty decent, and it means you could hang your helmet on the bike without it sitting on the exhaust....
  2. Errr.....What's your point?

Back when the world was young and I was dim enough to buy a CB400N (identical in all external dimensions to the 250), every CB in the world had one of these.

Cheap, decent fit, rotted at about the same rate as the stock 2 into 2, didn't screw up the carburation.

Nothing particularly special though.
  3. Sorry, i thought they were something more of an aftermarket can to improve performance - I didn't realise they were pretty much a stock replacement.
  4. Sorry. Didn't mean to sound dismissive. I tend to forget that not everyone is (a) an old fart who remembers when the CBN (or Superdream in the UK) was the cockroach of the biking world or (b) from the land of crumbly brown steel.

15-20 years ago, in the UK (and, I suppose, the rest of Europe) the world and his sister rode a motley assortment of Jap twins and fours, mostly dating from the late 70s and very early 80s. Down at the bottom of biking's food chain, watercoolers were very rare apart from the odd RDLC or Suzi GT750 eccentric.

And if there's one thing all these old dinosaurs did well, it was RUST. Especially the exhaust systems. These days, at least in Oz, exhausts only seem to get changed for the sake of appearance or performance, but in that particular time and place it was because the system would dissolve if a hamster spat on it, let alone if you took your bike out on salty winter roads :shock: .

After a year or two of everyday use, your exhaust system would be knackered. Not just a bit grotty and unsightly but disintegrating with holes you could put your fist through. At that point, welding up the damage would result in chasing your tail as you tried to find something, anything, to stick new metal to.

The only option was replacement. A factory system would generally cost about what the bike was worth so an alternative was needed. So the enterprising folks in the aftermarket industry built huge and successful businesses supplying pattern mufflers, collector boxes and downpipes, or, for those whose whole exhaust had collapsed, complete 2-1 and 4-1 systems.

That's where Motad and Micron really got their start, by selling thousands upon thousands of moderate quality, easy to fit, not too offensive replacement exhausts to impoverished corrosion victims :grin: .

There were other firms as well, many offering much more exciting products, like Alfa (looked ace, fantastic snarl, interesting :? effect on carburation and torque curve) and Harris (like an Alfa on steroids in all respects), but Micron and Motad were the ones who've capitalised the best.

Don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with Motad pipes like the one in your link, but I wouldn't ditch a functional stock system to fit one.