Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Well there's stupid, and then there's this....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by incitatus, Apr 27, 2007.

1. "The scam was uncovered when Japanese movie star Maiko Kawamaki went on a talk-show and wondered why her new pet would not bark or eat dog food.

She was crestfallen when told it was a sheep."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  3. that's ok, the japs will eat em.

similar thing happened to tourists in mexico. hairless mice were toy dogs.
  4. Well??? Did the Mexicans eat THEM?? :LOL:
  5. Ok, I may not have been first to post this story, but I am the first to post the appendix to it...

"But just who was fleeced – confused Japanese pet-lovers or gullible Westerners?

The author of English-language Japanese blog Cerebral Soup argues that the story is an urban myth which last did the rounds in February 2006.

The city of Sapporo – where the Poodles as Pets company was alleged to be based – is on the Japanese north island of Hokkaido, which Cerebral Soup claims is the country's "centre of sheep breeding".

"Sheep are very well known – especially in bloody Sapporo," the blog read.

Further, the scam had not been reported by Japanese media and there was no trace to be found online of a company called Poodles as Pets.

So perhaps the story, originally sourced from UK tabloid The Sun, wasn't watertight – but it did offer an opportunity for some early-morning wordplay.

"The purchasers would be feeling a bit sheepish about having the wool pulled over their eyes," wrote Danny of Melbourne.

"I think the perpetrators should get a good roasting for fleecing unsuspecting customers."
  6. nah, they smoked em