Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Well, there goes my holiday money...

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by davesquirrel, Aug 26, 2011.

1. Got on the bike this morning, backing it out of the garage was harder than usual, and when I rode off the rear tyre definitely felt lacking in pressure.

Fortunately had to stop 1km down the road for petrol, got off the bike and the rear wheel had rotated enough for me to see the dirty great nail stuck in it.

Had ridden over something that sounded like plastic shards on the way home last week, and checked my front tyre, but didn't check the back (lesson learnt).

So, limped home at 40km/h, parked up and had to endure public transport on a day i'd rather be riding in on.

Now I have the fun logistical task of locating somewhere very close to my house in Moorabbin that will fit me a new tyre tomorrow morning. Am hoping if I stick enough air in it I can get up to Brighton Bikes & Bits (but not via the Nepean!)
  2. Where is the puncture? If it's in the middle 50% of the tread you can plug it with a cheap $20 kit from your local auto shop. That will get you to your bike shop for a tyre.

I plugged mine about 2000k's ago and it's still fine with no leaks.
  3. Rear tyre, just get a plug kit and plug it yourself. $25. I've plugged all of my last few rear tyres at some point and never had a problem

Holiday saved.
  4. Buy (and learn how to use) a puncture repair kit....
    Will get you up and going a few minutes in most cases...

Had a large nail in my rear when tyre had 4k on it, used the kit and I'm about to hit 12k with no leaks...
    If it's a straight thru pierce with no side cutting in the main tread area, they work a treat if you do it right.
  5. +1 for the repair kit.
  6. +2 for the plug, as long as the nail is pretty close to the centre of the tread area (y)
  7. +3 plug it
  8. how easy is it to plug it yourself?
    currently got a massive nail stuck in my Bandit 250 over in Auckland.
    dont mind paying someone with tools to do it as i have none with me here.
    any bike/tyre shop should be able to do the same process as what you'd do yourself with the repair kit?
    cheers fellas,

miss Oz and my VTR250 (finish up in Dec)
  9. DIY plugs are done from the outside, take 5 seconds.

Shop plugs are mushroom plugs placed on the inside which requires removing the wheel and stuff so it takes a bit longer.
  10. sounds like both ways should make the tyre stand the test time for mileage as some have mentioned.
    me tyres only 2 thou clicks in.
  11. well nail went in so sideways that it didnt pierce through the centre.
    good times, saved me a few bucks
  12. Nail is fairly central. Will duck out and get a plug kit and then take it to get a proper job done. Spoke to BB&B this morning and they're doing it tomorrow.
  13. Note to self: Buy puncture repair kit.

Hope it doesn't drag the holiday down too much.
  14. Repairing a rear tyre is all good. Definitely use the plug repair kits. You need to scuff up the inside of the tyre when you do them. 120 grit works fine.
    Do not take the chance and repair a front tyre.
    The rears have more air and go down a little slower. Also a rear stepping out or going flat is usually no biggy.
    The front is a whole different kettle of fish and should not be tampered with.
  15. After a morning of fart-arsing around (and trying to get rid of my hangover) finally managed to get a repair kit. Then had to get wifey to pick up some rubber cement (or thin air, as the first tube contained).

Got through three of the repair strips before I got one to stick. Trimmed off the end, started to inflate the tyre, and could hear air pissing out... From a nick in the sidewall.

I'm working on the basis that in removing the 3-inch nail (that judging by the angle it came out was touching the sidewall) it did the extra damage, as it makes me feel slightly better than telling myself it was my enthusiasm with the roughing tool that did it.

Either way, it's almost certainly a new tyre, and forking out for the bike to be collected on Monday. Oh well, gave it a crack and at least I'll have a new tyre and not a repaired one with a dodgy sidewall.

Gotta say was very jealous of everyone else out on their bikes today :(
  16. Why replace it if it's plugged? Keep using it until you would have changed it normally. There's nothing wrong with a plugged tyre.

Punctures are much more common on the back than the front. (Which is good.) Nails and screws and stuff tend to bounce up when the front runs over it, and then the back arrives and pinches it between the road and the tyre while it's sanding upright, and that's game-over.
  17. Sorry to hear about that. I just use the rope type outside plugs. The first time I had a shop do it for me, and I was a bit younger and braver and sillier, (1980 was a good year for being young and silly) so when they told me to take it easy for the first couple of hours I took that as a challenge. $2+ on a plug that'd been in for 10 minutes - no problem. I have a lot of faith in them after that.

Many shops will tell you these days that they're no longer allowed by law to use these plugs. I'm not entirely sure how true that is, but it's certainly good for the shop. They used to charge $10 to pop a plug in. Now they charge $100 to take the wheel off and mess about with roughing tools and mushroom plugs and refitting the tyre and balancing it and ...

If the sidewall is damaged, then yes - replace the tyre. But most nails and screws and stuff through the tread part can be plugged just fine by yourself.

The weather - Guilty and I went out for an hour or so and it poured on us. Not as much fun as it should have been.
  18. yep I keep and use the wick style repair kit...
    carry 6 co2 just in case (can buy them also at any cycling store)
    Like mentioned, huge 75mm nail in rear at 4k, and now have 12k with no leaks.

A couple of hints:
    When removing object (nail, etc) that caused puncture, take note at what angle it's coming out then insert wick at same angle. why I prefer the wicks to the plugs as they'll insert at any angle because nails don't always go in nice and straight.

when using co2, make sure it comes with an attachment that lets you regulate how fast the co2 is released into the tyre. the cheaper ones release it all in once thus the cylinder kind of freezes and sometimes can freeze the rubber in your valve not stopping the co2 from getting out.
    When this happens, you sometimes can need up to 6 cylinders to pump up the tyre enough.

I also usually get to the nearest servo after repair, release the co2 and fill the tyre with regular air...

Probably worth practicing how to use it..
    Plenty of youtube vids around to learn from too..