Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Well I made it here at last

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by TheSalamander, Aug 27, 2006.

1. 18 months after getting my permanent visa I am now living in Sydney.... YEAH!!! I arrived 2 weeks ago from the UK (via a month trekking in Thailand) and found a place with a garage just on the edge of Manly.

I'll be getting a bike, the current decisions comes down to either a new GSX-R750 in matt black or a Daytona 675.

As much as I love the D675 (took one out for a long ride in the UK) it isn't very good for pillions as I found it through the centre of balance out way too much... so the GSX-R is looking the favourite at the moment.

My container with all my stuff (and bike gear!) will clear customs in two weeks so as soon as I have it I'll be out taking the bikes for a test ride around here.

I'm also thinking of getting a TomTom Rider to help me find my way around. Does anyone have one or used one?

It's great to be finally here, and hopefully I will meet up with some of you soon!

Switching my UK license to a NSW one was easy :)

safe riding

2. Welcome Salamander. I recall your posts earlier this year.
    You've made it with enough time to come to Victoria for the MotoGP at Phillip Island. Lotsa netriders attending. :)
  3. Welcome (back) Salamander. You also arrived as the weather is starting to warm up and riding becomes even more enjoyable. So get that bike, and join us for the long spring-summer-autumn that is motorcycling in Australia.

{And check out the NSW Events calendar; coffee nights, rides and whole bunches of good stuff}
  4. Thanks.. The weather has been great since I've arrived, perfect for biking. I am planning to go to P.I. however it won't be by bike this year :-( Also hoping to get myself on some track days once I have some wheels...

Look forward to catching up with you all.

Now just need to find myself a cute pillion :)

5. Welcome to the country cobber. Enjoy the weather mate.

Looks like you escaped just in time before the salting begins.

Enjoy the sun and maybe remember to slip slop and slap so ya white skin doesnt get burnt to a crisp.
  6. Let me know if you get either of them so I can come and spoil your paintwork with my drool. If I was off my restrictions, those are the two bikes I would be looking at primarily (in particular the 675).

In other news, welcome to Netrider. Get involved in the Sydney social scene, it's great stuff.
  7. Welcome...i found the R1 is very uncomfortable for pilions as well!
  8. Salamander, don't unpack the container until after the MotoGP, cause once you've seen the Victorian roads you won't want to settle in Squidney.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  9. :)

I don't think I will get quite as much riding pleasure around Sydney as I did riding around the Cotswolds and south coast in England. Plenty of amazing twisty roads in the UK where you can enjoy the rush of high speeds, enjoyable and good roads without fear of policemen, kangaroos or traffic.

however I'm sure I'll find a few nice routes to "pootle" around :)