Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

well I did think it possible. just not pheasable.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by flexorcist, May 27, 2007.

1. i dunno how to spell pheasable. :grin:

from here

so how tight is your bottom? gas bike tight? well mebbe it's an environmental issue who knows.

Bajaj Auto, the second largest motorcycle manufacturer in India is planning to produce a line of CNG/LPG powered motorcycles beginning this year. The motorcycles will actually be dual fuel capable and besides running on either CNG or LPG, they will also run on regular gasoline.

Like the CLEVER concept we wrote about yesterday designed with a compressed natural gas powerplant and cars like a new CNG powered Honda Civic being introduced this year, these motorcycles will take advantage of CNG which is an extremely low emission fuel that runs in regular internal combustion engines.

Low emission and alternate fuel vehicles don’t have to use exotic technology. High gasoline prices quickly make a lot of existing fuels price competitive and adding the new capabilities to current engines makes sense. CNG/LPG has been used on many commercial vehicles for years and it’s starting to filter down to regular commuter vehicles.
  2. Speaking as one with a 58 year attachment to my nether regions, I for one will pass, if you don't mind, on having a tank of compressed gas between my legs :roll:.

{and the word is feasible, btw}.
  3. When I saw the word 'pheasable' I thought it might have something to do with pheasants.

CNG technology is pretty safe so I don't envisage much more of a problem than with a petrol tank. Trouble is, once the excise deferment ends (sometime within the next couple of years) LPG is going to cost about the same as petrol anyway.

Unless there is some compelling legislation to force motorcyclists to use CNG systems there really doesn't seem to be much point (other than environmental benefits)

Much more interested in the diesel bike projects.
  4. +1 to that, Amen. Only, 22 year attachment, not so many for me ta muchly. :)
  5. There's gonna be some friggin' SPECTACULAR videos popping up on YouTube once those things go on sale...
  6. Considering the impact required to burst a CNG/LPG tank you're either already going to be smished or you've long fallen off the bike as it cartwheels in the air from the mega highside.

And that probably still wont damage the tank enough to burst it.

Australia Post have been testing LPG tanks on postie bikes for a couple of years btw.
  7. I've got nothing between my legs anyone would miss if things went kaboom. Anyway, I'm pretty sure Slow Suzuki is right, it'd take a major, major rupture and a spark to ignite the methane.

I think Diesel is where the money's at. Royal Enfield have built a few Diesel Engines for their bikes, and while as slow as all sin, they have amazing range.
  8. Feasible is the answer.

Considering the safety standards in India, how long before the 'alleyway' conversions start setting neighbourhoods ablaze?

But, population control may be enabled!
  9. Yeah right................because petrol is soooooooo much more stable! :roll: :p
  10. Yep, there should be some nice diesel prospects in the next few years.

I saw a 1.3L 3Cyl turbo diesel MC engine report (not in production) with possible fuel economy figures of 2.7L per 100km. And power specs similar to a 1L petrol bike. Thats 700K off a 19L tank.
  11. i can see some dawrin awards happening when these go on sale...
  12. Petrol doesn't suffer from......explosive decompression. Even if LPG doesn't ignite, the force from the insane pressure it is stored at will tear things to shreds. If it does ignite, its far worse then petrol because petrol burns (explodes if compressed in fuel tank, but leaks wont explode readily), but lpg will explode because of its gaseous nature.

A 1.3L turbo Diesel would be a massive engine. Doesn't matter if it has sports bike performance, the sheer size of the thing would be the detrimental factor. Diesel engines work best on a long stroke (higher compression, >> motorcycle compression), while the majority of motorcycle engines work on a short stroke (so they can rev higher). While i agree it is a useful step forward, I would be more interested in a 600cc TDi that can fit into a 1L chassis. While not as high performing, would use bugger all fuel, and wouldnt be a monster of an engine.
  13. There's the KLR based diesel Kawasaki developed for the military.

There's a heap of other stuff at http://www.dieselbike.net/
  14. If you've travelled and/or worked in the cities where these bikes will be targetted and marketted to you would support this 100%. The polution from petrol and diesel engines is massive and a huge health problem.
  15. ah bugger that the storm uses enough fuel without switching it to gas, and the same would go for any motorcycle, gas burns hotter and faster then regular petrol...

i would also give this a miss

16. well actually diesel is actually a cleaner burning fuel then gas and petrol, thus the reason GB switched from pushing gas powered vechiles to diesel, and why majority of the vechiles in europe are diesel powered