Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Well done me

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Darmac, Jun 29, 2015.

1. Yay. My missus got the day off work today so i got down to the rms and sat and passed the dkt. Was a little nervous and didnt realise I'd be getting my photo taken for my new license. .. would have messed up my hair so i look like a real bikey. Got a handful of L plates to put on the bike i dont have... patience.

• Like Like x 6
  2. lol. forward thinking

3. Ok DarmacDarmac congratulations, one step at a time. I guess you have all your gear so the bike is next. What are you looking for?

4. Welcome mate.

5. G'day and welcome, DarmacDarmac. That's more or less what I did too - I was walking past the local RMS office during a lunch break and went in on the spur of the moment thinking I'd book a rider knowledge test and they asked me, 'Do you want to do the test now?'.

Like you I walked out twenty minutes later with a handful of L-plates, considering how long it'd take to save for a motorcycle...as you say, patience.

6. Soon I'll have saved around $2000 so I've been looking at cb250 and vtr250. I quite like the er5 and gs500 but they're more expensive so I'd have to save more but i really want a bike now. Are these all good options for a beginner? Im 6 ft and weigh 90 kg so thought the 500cc bikes might be more enjoyable.

7. A lot of people say you will struggle on a 250 bike so a larger one will be a longer keeper. On the other hand there is lots to learn on a smaller bike and you don't need to keep it for your full Learner/Probationary period. At 6ft you may be a bit cramped so I would try it first and see if you fit OK. No matter what you decide, a bike, any bike is worthwhile.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. i did the same 3 weeks ago at the age of 59. good for me

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Welcome DarmacDarmac nothing like a bit of spontaneity
    Hope you have something to put your L plates onto real soon :)

10. Im 39 in a couple of weeks so we're almost in the same sidecar. Funny isn't it. You normally associate L plates with pimply teens.... not us mate.

11. Irrespective of how long we've been riding, most of us started on L Plates, congratulations on following your heart