Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Welders take note!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Tex, Jul 24, 2009.

1. s...t, how many times have I done basicly the same...lottery ticket time
  2. thanks for posting that, very interesting. For those who can't go
    look at the article, here it is:

3. That guy must be as big a knucklehead as he looks.....spraying solvent on something your going to TIG?

Metal is porous, solvent will be absorbed into the metal, not to mention what the propellant might do. Now the metal has been preconditioned to have a contaminated weld. It's a bit of an oxymoron act to spray a tracing chemical on something to give it a clean weld.
  4. he waited how long before going to the ER?!
  5. he did say he used a oxy to burn/evaporate off the excess.

after reading its possible fatal, why didnt he go to the the ER

"oh i just had a puff of toxic smoke, couldnt stop shaking, and almost blacked out... next day im in alot of pain and cant take a dump and pee nothing, and smell/taste chlorine... do u think i need to go to see a doctor?? nah i dont think so"
  6. Don't forget 2 things...
    - chemicals can make you not think straight
    - in the USA, if you don't have health insurance, hospitals can cost you
    $10,000 or more PER NIGHT
  7. Burning off with a torch will only add carbon contaminates. Most good
    chassis welders will clean with sandpaper, then a scotch bright pad, and that is for new steel. Old stuff requires more work, or don't worry about the TIG, use an inferior method, because a TIG requires perfectly clean materials, including the welding rod and correct inert gas.
  8. If a company gets steel pre-fabed overseas it usually gets it coated with something. Often you have to clean it off before erection (and wleding). For that, most times a solvent is used.

so it's quite common.
  9. ibast,

I understand that, but there are a few cleaning processes after the solvent. All new chromemoly and R531 comes with coatings too. In this case the guy was welding an old tank with salt corrosion or something. Cleaning that would need more than solvent and a torch. Living in Wollongong with a steel mill in our back yard, you get to know a few welders, one I pointed to his thread had a great laugh.