Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weird Noises...

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by yasirbad, May 19, 2010.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm getting a weird noise from the front of the bike, sounds like something unwinding and I think it may be the speedo, but i've just tightened that, although the sound diminished a little bit for a little while it's come back at higher speeds. It sounds like a really loud winding noise and at high speeds can sound like a horn (nothing like my horn though).

Another issue i'm having is the gear lever rattling or having a hard time falling into first from neutral, all other gears are a non issue. It' s a bit scarey sometimes shifting down into first from second to turn into a servo and i'll find it drops into neutral and starts the rattlying/grinding noise untill I pull in the clutch and try again. (sometimes it goes through but).

Thanks for your help..

Also I've noticed my engine oil goes over the F in the sightglass should I drain some out?

EDIT: It's a Suzuki Across.

2. on your particular model I'd say its a broken spretts

3. Ok. I'll elaborate.

Your second problem isn't a vehicular problem, it's operator error. Most bikes don't like being put into first at anything above a stroll. The noise you are hearing is the dog teeth hitting each other. Stop this practice.

The first problem is almost impossible to diagnose from the info you have given. Tyr typing the sound in letters.

4. Ouch. OK will stop that immediately.

I'll try to record the noise. but it builds up as whining and sort of starts buzzing abit when it starts to sound like a horn at higherspeeds..., could it be the wheel alignment? Only seems to be at high speeds, and if I really want to hear it at low speeds(50kish) I can clutch in and hear it, at higher speeds I'll hear it no matter what. Although If I open the throttle a bit more it stops immediately.

5. I'd start by checking the front wheel bearings.

6. how are the front and rear sprockets?
    How tight is the chain?
    Wheel bearings been replace in the last 5 years?
    Those are the only things i can think of.