Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weird issue.. Need help!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by screwball, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Hey guys,

Was on the way home from work the other day and sadly got caught in some proper heavy rain about 2km from home. Rode through it, also rode through a decent sized puddle I didn't see until too late and thankfully kept it all upright.

Got home, parked the bike up and everything was fine. Rain has continued and tomorrow is due to be gone but I've got a problem...

If I try to start the bike, it will turn on, it will prime and the fuel pump goes off and all that, but where I normally hit the starter and the bike fires up, it will do nothing. I can do anything I want, killswitch, stand, clutch, everything and it won't start. Except beep the horn.

If I bip the horn even just a smidge, the bike will start fine, and ride fine.

Any ideas?

2. You got water in one of the connections to the engine management unit. Open them up and clean them out with electrical contact cleaner (spray cans available at electrical wholesalers) or even WD-40.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Excellent security feature you now have, leave it.
    ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. As DA has indicated - you've got moisture somewhere giving you a short...

It will more than likely dry out over time without intervention.