Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weird issue (Leaning to left??)

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Danzotron, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

This could possibly be a retarded question, but I'm wondering if anyone has felt like their bike is leaning specifically to one side by a few degrees. My bike (ZZR250) has felt like this for the past few month, I can't really remember when I first felt it, and I'm not really sure whether it's a bad habit I've gotten into where I put more weight on one side or something weird like that. Trying to correct it by shifting my weight to the right slightly, feels kinda unnatural..

My question to you is, do you know of anything that could be wrong with the bike that I can suggest to my mechanic to check out? Or is it more likely that it's something really retarded that I'm doing..

If you've also experienced something like this, please share any tips / ideas / stories or theories on ways to correct it!

Appreciate ya help guys.

2. Do you have a weird shaped bum? Like one cheek missing perhaps?

Do you put one leg either side of the motorbike? Or both legs on the one side?

Sorry I have very little constructive to say. Maybe take it to a mechanic and explain your problem, either way it's not going to be very expensive to fix.
  3. If its not windy, Its not the bike. Its how you're sitting on it.
    Get out of the habbit.
  4. This bike hasn't been crashed has it? Bent frame?

Otherwise you may have uneven wearing of your tyres?

Holding handlebars too tightly? You may have a preference for one side.

Find a long straight road where you can ride as close as possible to centreline(remember roads are curved), sit so that you grip the tank with both your legs leaving as little pressure on the hand grips as possible. If there's no problem it may be your style.
  5. Yeah it has been dropped, once, ages ago. Was low speed on tram tracks, and it's only really developed over the past month. I'm either thinking its uneven tire wear or just something I'm doing.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
  6. Can you get a mate to ride it, if it's the bike you'll know for sure then.
  7. I'm by no means a mechanic, but could it be a worn steering head bearing?

Let us know once you get to the bottom of this one, as it's an interesting issue.

"I live my life a corner at a time.... Knee down!"
  8. one of the forks is busted?
  9. Couple of good ideas there, thanks heaps guys.

Gonna ring a mate that rides and see if he can give it a go.
  10. Dw bout it too much mate. Everyone has a preferred side they like to lean too... i prefer leaning to the left and it shows on the rear tire aswell. Leanin to the right feels un natural and thefor i get less lean... Its just the same as on a bicycle... Hope that helped :grin:
  11. I know it's obvious, but check your tire pressure and rear wheel alignment.

From my experience, with a worn head bearing, the bike wont track in line when corning. The front wheel is constantly out of line with the rear and you'd have to correct it constantly.
  12. You suffer from scoliosis and have a really badly aligned spine.
    Visit a chiropractor.
  13. Did this happen after you adjusted your chain, by any chance?

I'd be looking at alignment of rear wheel (make sure the threads on the adjusters show somewhere close to the same number of turns), or string-line it.
    Tyre wear is the next stop. Not discounting steering head bearings either (you haven't got a control cable snagged have you?)
  14. chiropractics is quackopractics.

see someone with a credible backing in a credible field, like an acupuncturist or hypnotherapist or something...
  15. are you pulling on the bar that you pull on your bar with ?.
  16. Funnily enough it is leaning to the side of my preferred hand for such practices!
  17. you may want to try double handing. or get a girlfriend
  18. I have one! Just only get to see her on weekends... :( for the moment anyway
  19. maybe you should only ride on the weekend then when things are balanced
  20. Do you think the fact you have one arm 6 inchs longer than the other may have something to do with it?