Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weird exhaust modification!

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by Tex, Aug 27, 2010.

1. I'm in the process of restoring a 1983 GS125.

So far I'm delighted with just what good shape the little bike is in.

Imagine my surprise then when I discovered that someone at some time has jammed a long steel rod down through the muffer and up into the exhaust pipe.

Was someone trying to clean it? Did a child jam it in there? Is it intended to quieten the bike? I can't imagine that it's meant to be there!

Who knows...

It's out of reach of any tools that I have. Of course the muffer and the pipe have been in undisturbed parntership for many years, and prising 'em apart to extract the extra metal work is gonna be a chore...

I've seen some weird mods performed by previous owners before, but this one has me scratching my head.

2. Maybe a previous owner was trying to punch the baffles out and then couldn't get the rod out. Used to be a fairly standard "tuning" technique back in the day.
  3. I'm guessing the rod is an extra long drill bit, probably used to put holes in the baffle to get the bike to breath/sound better. I'd say the bit has jammed in there and the owner/operator couldn't get it out either. If you can get a grip on it try twisting it anti clockwise.
  4. After soaking the join in homemade penetrating oil, and a few taps with a rubber mallet, the muffler came off relatively easily.

Lo and behold, one nasty piece of rod complete with little barbs where it's been cut from mesh.

There doesn't apear to be any baffles to pierce... Anyway, it's out now, so I can press on.