Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Weird dark line around tyre - This is what it is

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pwbike, Oct 9, 2016.

1. My new motorcycle has Bridgestone Battlax T30 Sport Touring tyres.
    I noticed a weird dark line/mark running around the front tyre, slightly off-centre and able to be felt as well as seen.
    This is what it looks like.
    Wondering what it was I asked Professor Google.
    I found out it is common to tyres with a high silica content in the compound.

"Silica rich compounds build up a static electrical charge as you ride. On occasion this can be enough to give you a small electrical shock as your foot hits the ground, giving the electrical charge a route to earth.
    The thin dark line is a silica free band of “antenna tread” which helps to dissipate the static electricity as you ride, rather than letting it build up to give you a nasty shock. It’s common in motorcycle, car and truck tyres – although it’s much easier to see on a motorcycle tyre."

Who knew?
    Mystery solved and mind put at ease.
    • Informative Informative x 15
  2. Who knew? Thanks for sharing.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Funny, I was just reading about that on one of the other pages I'm on.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Holy crap Batman, 42 years of riding, and the first time I've heard of it. Is this a new phenomena? [ spelt it right first time ] or has it been around for yonks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. It'd be a fairly recent thing, silica and high silica tyres are fairly recent as far as I'm aware.
    I'd not seen it before, but it's very noticeable on the Bridgestone T30 front tyre.
  6. How do you like them, I am after a T30 140x70x18. They make them but not imported to OZ, until I managed to talk the distributer to bring a few in. Only its 4 months till they get here. Them and the BT92 are the only radials made less than a 150.
  7. They are good, you can feel what's happening. I have good confidence in them pretty much straight away, if they slide it's progressive and not alarming.
    Eildon-Jamieson Rd saw me scraping a peg within about three corners.

When it's time to replace them I'll strongly consider the new T30 Evo tyres, as well as those new Metzeler RoadTec 01 tyres.
    I've always liked the way Bridgestone sports touring tyres feel and grip.
  8. I used to love the BT 020, 021 and 023 fronts, still not completely sold on the T30 front I have but its not the new Evo T30 and they are supposed to be better.
  9. Well I never. Now I do.

Thank you.
  10. Well... that...

Okay, I've learnt something today.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. CaffeineMonsterCaffeineMonster ,ValvolineValvoline , WraithWraith this is what we were talking bout at beechmont when we were looking at my rear tyre.
    For others.........my metzeler m7s have 2 of these lines, I thought it was where the compounds met but now I know better.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Well there you have it. I'm going to sound smart at the next meet up now haha.

It's certainly an interesting feature.
  13. A lot of that confidence would be from the Beemer front suspension system. For a big bike the feel through the teli lever is amazing .
  14. Bet you get good SBS on that thing......
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. With my "antenna tread", yes, deep space communication is a high possibility :)